1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Filter twin Vs Mini Qtron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowdownstu, Oct 15, 2010.

1. I did a search for this but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for.
    Living in a small city It's hard to get good comparisons of good gear and an envelope/filter is definately next on the list which brings me to.
    1. Aguilar filter twin
    2. Mini Qtron
    The local shop has the Qtron in stock but has trouble getting a single Aguilar unit in. Should I just splurge and get the Qtron.
    I've heard clips of both and the Qtron sounds nice and quacky and looks freakin cool.
    The aguilars seem to be very well made, has a great but relativly understated 'quack' and would take up less space on my board. I would gladly get the Qtron next week if there are no issues with bass drop off, volume fluctuations etc.
    Any input or comparisons would be appreciated. :D

2. Lots of good filters out there.
    Why comparing just the two?
    Lots of YouTube, Harmony Central, here, etc. ways to research.

S.

3. As I said, I live in a small place. I'm lucky to even have the Qtron to try first hand. And the filter twin is my benchmark quality wise as I've used/owned some of their other stuff.
    The Qtron Is right on target budget wise as well $300 (Aus dollars). Any others in that price bracket that would give these two a run?

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I went on a filter binge a few years back. Lot's of new stuff since then but out of the ones I tried, The Mini-QT is the one that stuck. MF-101, MuTron, Emma,DOD - none of them did. I was after the bubbly warm, tuba side of filtering as opposed to the hard/synthy side. The MF-101 was my next favorite. It had superior audio quality to anything else but it was way too twitchy for live use though - The Mini QT had acceptable audio quality and it is stable enough for live use.

A used Mini QT should be easily available at $100 USD I would think - I haven't been looking lately - then you have freight to OZ but for a box that size, it can't be too terribly much ...

5. Well I'll hit the shop for a mini QT test drive tomorrow and if the shoe fits I'll grab it. Just a shame i can't really a/b it with anything else first hand. If anyone see's this as a bad impulse buy, please fill me in.

6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    If you try it out and love it, but it. What works for you works for you. Period.

On the other hand, I sort of bought a 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator blind a few months ago and LOVE it. I think you should atleast look up other filter pedals on youtube first unless you know the Mini QTron has the filter sound you want.

I know you may not want to deal with returning pedals, but I don't see anything wrong with ordering a pedal and returning it if you really don't like it. I never liked trying out a pedal without my own bass/pedals/amp anyway so I just buy, test, and either keep it or return it if it doesn't do it for me.

7. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    I'd try to get my hands on a Source Audio Bass envelope Filter, they are cheaper than both and capable of ALLOT more.

$120 USD should make it to AU for under the $300 AUD Qtron price.

8. Just checked out source audio and aus distributers. If it's the same price as the rest of their range it looks like I can get the b.e.f. for $210 AUS. Hmmmmm....... Decisions!

9. Ok, I've done as much online research as I can find ( reviews, tube clips, sound clips, here) And after about 7-8 units I'm whittled down to.... (in no order)
    1. Aggie twin
    2. Q-tron mini
    3. 3 leaf GR
    4. Agent OO funk

MXR, Mu-Tron and EBS are JUST outta my budget and out of the above list the Q-tron is the only one I can physically play where I live.
    I'm a big fan of Aggies but the clips I've heard aren't exactly what I'm after
    Seems that on TB the 3 leaf gets big props and I can probably get it for the same price as the Q-tron.
    So in order I'm whittled down to
    1. 3 leaf
    2. Agent OO funk, and
    3. Q-tron
    Any thoughts? Experiences, bad or good?

10. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

+100...to what he said. Take a look at their videos on the Source Audio's website.

And...get a USA buddy to hook you up....;)

11. I did check it out and it seems like a pretty sweet unit and probably the cheapest in Oz out of all my choices, but..... I'm a little dubious about what seems to be a recent arrival on the block and with too many sound options. If it where programable for several sounds on hand (or foot) I'd jump on it. Not sure if I like the idea of tweaking on the fly or only ending up using one sound anyway.

Weird I know but that's just me.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Filters are a 'tactile' experience. They all respond differently to your playing. This is not someting you can be successful at reading web site and litening to youtube clips IMO. At some point - you simply have to throw the dart and get started.

I ran through a bunch before realizing that the slow release stability of the mini-QT was what worked best .... for me.

I probably don't need to point out that it was among the least expensive of those I tried... so what did it for me was the stability at slow release settings - What will do it for you ? Only you can know ... only one way to find out...

13. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Actually, I don't think it's weird, and it's not just you. I LOVED the SA BEF at the beginning, and still loved it after the "honeymoon" period. Unfortunately, I've realized that I really only use filters that are essentially variations of the classic Mu-Tron III style. The SA BEF has great classic filter tones, but not better for me than my Qballs or Spit Wah. It also has a ton of very cool and unique sounds that, alas, I would never use, although I can see them being very useful to other players. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for very good classic tones, and excellent unique tones, but there may be better choices if you're sure you just want traditional filter sounds without too much variation. Totally IMO, of course.

14. Interesting. Tried 3 pedals in person today.
    Q-tron mini; Awful! Way too peaky and loud when (when!!) it opened, dead and muffled when it wasn't open. Very dissapointed.

MXR bass auto Q; Awful again. Too subtle and tinny with a weird occilation effect that I'd never use.

DOD FX25B; Surprisingly the best of the three. Still not my idea of a fat quacky filter and again to muffled at the 'closed end of the filter.

I realise my critique may ruffle a few feathers and I did spend a hour or so with these units so I got to fiddle a lot.So again I'm left with the Aggie and 3 leaf.
    I'm tempted to just order a 3 leaf without trying it but after my experience today it's a case of buyer beware.

15. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    If you order a 3Leaf and don't like it, which would be REALLY unfortunate, you could probably sell it off no problem. They're really popular.

I'd recommend the Source Audio BEF too if you're looking to blind test filters. I totally forgot to mention that I bought the BEF with pretty much no idea of what sounds it could make and love it! The 3Leaf GR and SA BEF are both still on my board.

16. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Yes, it is weird to me that you wouldn't want the most for your money. It the most versatile filter on the market today and one of the cheapest. So what if you're only going to use 1 setting. You know what the best thing about this filter is? It's not that super sensitive unit, (I have a few of those) that when changing instruments during your set, you would have to re-adjust your settings to find that sweet spot again.

Source Audio has totally changed my views of digital effects pedals.