filtering even harmonics?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jmrtnko, Sep 7, 2001.

1. jmrtnko

Jul 9, 2001
    is there something that will filter out even harmonics?

occasionally, i'll pluck up on the neck to get a nice hollow upright sound. it seems like there's a lot more fundamental and a square-wavelike tone. my swr head has an aural enhancer, but that just beefs up the fundamental.

any ideas? and no, i don't want to lug around an upright (for now...)

2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i'm not sure of this.. but remember reading a Thomastk Infield ad that said that their jazz strings are wrapped with silk inside to filter the odd harmonics, maybe i misread and it was even... maybe that's what you're looking for?
  3. I think this is more a technique issue.

When you're playing way down the neck, you could try plucking at around the 12-14th fret and you'll get the same: less harmonic content and more fundamental. Try to keep the bridge-to-fret length and the bridge-to-plucking-position constant. If you move down the neck, your plucking position should move along a bit.

Playing over your neck pickup should help too (if you have one).

I hope this helps.
  4. jmrtnko

Jul 9, 2001
    i'd be perfectly content with just plucking up on the neck if it were a bit more comfortable. my action is a bit on the low side and the bass is fretted.

i *do* have a bartolini at the neck, but there's quite a sonic difference between the pickup and the 15th fret (about where i'm playing it now). normally, i'm playing right behind the neck pickup.

oh well, it was just an experiment. i'm not inclined to raise the action as it's right where i want it to be for 95% of my playing. and i'm not really at the level to go fretless just yet.

but... if anyone knows of any comb filters that can follow the fundamental, let me know.