Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filters, Filters, Filters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 7, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Gawd I think I have now tried every filter pedal comercially available in the UK (Except the Bass IQ)

Now I was all set to get the fm4 but I'd never had a perfect filter sound out of it, I always presumed that I would eventually and it would just take some tweaking, well me and Toasted went shopping yesterday and tried this for ages, yes we love the obi-wah its works better for me than the robotalk, and some of the synths on there are as good as the deep inpact (we actually had a deep inpact there to compare) but I couldn't get that amazing squeltchy filter sound that I want.

So then we tried the Bass Robotalk and the filter was very very good, but the apegiator didn't seem to work as well, bit to glitchy for my liking.

Next we tried the bass magic stomp gah don't think the thing has any filters in it.

The the EHX Q-tron + sorry but this thing is horrible, massive uncontrolable volume boost, nothing that amazing coming out of it IMHO

I also tried the Jacque fat burner compressor while I was there and this seemed to distort with and active bass and fart out, It was s/h but seemed to be in mint condition.

And I have previously tried the Emma Discumbobulator, EHX Mini Q, I own a Guyatone Br-2 and the Dod fx25b and the dunlop wah.

So after our disappointing trip out we came back to mine to compare my filter pedals, and Toasted found that the best one that we had found all day was my Dunlop Bass Crybaby, and he was right it does have the squeltch I'm looking for would maybe like a bit more but it is perfectly acceptable, I just think I would like something you know that triggers instead of me having to control with my foot.

What other options are out there for say under $200.

Oh I can also get a clone of the seamoon built but it seems expensive for 10 dollars worth of parts (it's about $260)

Or should I just stop moaning and settle for what I have

Cheers guys

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    the agent 00 funk from chunk systems maybe??
    or try to hook up with a vintage boss FT 2
    this pedal reaallly rocks
    s

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I'd be interested in the new chunk systems one the smaller OO funk, but I wouldn't want to blow that sorta cash on something I'd never tried.

Cheers though, keep the ideas coming guys

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Go with the bass iq or hunt down a mutron.
    Have you tried the Jacques env?

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    EH Bassballs has a nice effect, and a cheaper price...not bad IMO

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    No shops here carry the jacques eq filter yet.

I'd love to try the ebs but again no where near me has it.

I think I'm gonna try the mxr m-188 I presume it will sound just as good as my bass crybaby but it will be you know the auto version so I can dance round while using the it :D

7. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Not that I have tried alot of them but I would say try and get your hands on a Bass IQ, I also have a BR2 Guyatone and its night and day comparison wise the Bass IQ is in a totally different league, no harsh volume jumps at all and it will not suck away your mids and lows.
    - Tom

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The great thing about the BassIQ is that one can use all three modes. Up, Down and Hi-Q. The Hi-Q is a bit more for the dirty stuff (especially with an octaver or/and a distortion) while for instance the downmode gives you smooth funky fx. It provides the player a few extra vibes, like a riff has been played with a bit more dynamics... difficult to explain, just listen to it.

Just remember it's not just one sound. And all that in a small package which sounds great and is very easy to use. Cheers. :)