Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filters vs. tone pots.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kurosawa, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Have become very interested in filters. Marlon Reed's DP 4-string has an Alembic PJ Activator circuit in it. Loved the sound, very "attacky." Interesting, when you turn the "tone" knob, it sounds like a wah, a very strong effect compared to your garden-variety tone pot. The idea is the pot changes the frequency of the low-pass filter's very steep roll-off. The Alembic site says they feel this filter is more the way acoustic instruments work. Asked Alembic about the optional boost switch, they said it defeats the normally-on boost (which I was unaware of). The boost puts an 8 dB hump right before the roll-off point. Alembic said that turning off the boost is a gentler, more natural sound, and that many players who start off using lots of boost eventually turn it off for more and more tunes and some quit using it altogether. I have read many comments that Alembics sound kind of brash or metallic, and I'm guessing that's the reaction to the boost. Alembic said their higher-end basses offer more options on how to handle the filter, like individual filters per pickup and continuously variable boost, and that their Superfilter (SF-1) rack unit offers the most flexibility and also the greatest potential for making truly ugly sounds if you don't watch it. I love the super attack, but I like the idea of the softer sound, too. And yeah, tone pots just don't roll off the highs the way I want, either they retain too many of the highs or they sound mushy. I guess I've always really wanted to pick the frequency I start to lose highs at, not to just reduce highs in general, so I just had to have a low-pass filter, but I wanted a 5-string P pickup, not a soapbar, and Alembic says they haven't made a P5 pickup since the late 70s. I ended up getting a NOS Bartolini EZQ filter off eBay that I'm having Dave set up with the continuously-variable boost pot (this costs 6 dB gain over the 0/+8/+20 boost switch, however if you have one tone pot hole and don't want to make more, either for a pot or a switch, you could just wire it up for 0 or +8 boost). My unit is the 10-wire one without the bass boost; I want to find a 13-wire one also to play with. Anyway, if you are like me and you never really liked the standard tone knob (I don't much care for T/B or T/M/B controls either for the same reasons), maybe you're a candidate for a low-pass filter. Alembic says lots of folks opt for the T/B knobs instead of the filter, it's a more familiar thing and lots of folks can't get their heads wrapped around the filter concept, but to me, it's a lot more natural, useful, and musical than treble bleed or normal EQ.