Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fima Ephron

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JimK, Mar 18, 2002.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just picked up Ephron's 'solo' disc, Soul Machine...I didn't wanna tuck this away in "Recordings" 'cause there's more Ephron on the way to mia hacienda, namely, the Hasidic New Wave.
    So, maybe some of y'all are familiar with Ephron from the Screaming Headless Torsos; or Lost Tribe; or Lunar Crush(w/ Medeski & 'Fuse'); or with Me'shell(at one time, Ephron & Torsos' drummer Gene Lake provided the grooves for Me'shell as she vocalized).

Anyway, onto Soul Machine-
    Most of you may 'know' me as a guy who ain't usually too, too impressed with electric bass-led sessions(Jaco, Willis, Burbridge I do dig)...
    What can I say about Ephron's 'solo' disc? So far, I'd put Soul Machine in the Top-5 of what I have already bought this year(trust me, it's been a lot, too!).
    Here's the bliurb from the liner notes-
    "Fima Ephron, the dynamic bassist for the pysho-semitic-avant-klez-band Hasidic New Wave, steps out on his own...a remarkable blend of Jewish scales & sensibilities with Jazz/Rock Fusion & World Beat".
    Apparently, this album(& the Hasidic New Wave's albums) fall into a genre of music called Klezmer.
    Never really heard that label before, but, WOW! Cool stuff!

There's some ODD playing(that's probably the nod to the strong Ethnic vibe on this album) & cross-rhythms(drums & bass in different time signatures.
    A couple of the tunes are really, really in that electric period of Miles...if you like the jamming of Bitches Brew & Get Up With It, you'll dig what's goin' on here. The electric piano is very reminiscent of Corea's bangin' with Miles.
    Some parts remind me of of an electrified Dave Holland 5-tet; yes, it does get that heavy. ;)

Not the "bass chops' fest" of, say, a Marcus, Wooten, or Nitti album...still very happenin', IMO.

...& feel free to add any other Ephron favs.
    The Torsos' "Free Man", written by FE, still wipes me out!

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Fima is truely an incredible player. I belive he featured in the current issue of Global Bass.
    I just heard the other night a live radio broadcast he did with David Torn...AWESOME!!
    Definately had that 70s Miles vibe goin' on there too...but somehow fresh and....well, inspiring.
    Even thru the RealPlayer Fima's tone really shone!
    I'll be getting that new one, "Soul Machine" myself...thanks.
    Max

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My thoughts too on Soul Machine Jim! Great disc!

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive never heard of these guys, but now I feel the need to check them out. Any songs you can recomend worth listening to?

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    For fusion stuff check out Lost Tribes, or if you like rock witha "loft" twist check out Screaming Headless Torsos*

* not for the squeemish:)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oh yeah-
    John Zorn is the Executive Producer & David Torn mixes some tracks on Soul Machine...
    The 2nd tune, "Hasidic Folk Song", has been kicking my butt all night....same goes for the 3rd tune; very nice ostinato played by Ephron.
    After a Free Bop bowed bass intro, a cool Avant Funk vamp in 7/4 on "Yashkar".
    Adam Rogers takes a very nice, lonnnnggg "Jazzy" solo on one of the tunes. Totally ripping! ;)

Cassy-
    I would definitely check out The Screaming Headless Torsos' FIRST album(self-titled)...a couple tunes to check out from that disc?
    "Vinnie", "Free Man", "Blue In Green"(the Miles tune from Kind Of Blue done in a 'Reggae-ified' vibe). Also, from Miles, "The Jack Johnson Theme" done Torsos' style.
    Here's a link for ya-
    www.torsos.com

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A Klezmer album called "Soul Machine"? Talk about false advertising!

As far as Fima stuff goes, I think "Action Figure Party" is pretty cool.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...just picked up Hasidic New Wave's Psycho-Semitic album w/ Ephron & 'Fuse'.
    The 2nd tune on the disc("AKS"), written by drummer Aaron Alexander, is a lesson in polyrhythms/polymetrics...Ephron gets a brief Octaver solo. Pretty nasty!
    Nice thumbed tone on the groove to "Ve-Samakhto Dub"(the 9th cut).

There's also a tune called "Hebe Bop"...
    These guys aren't right, that's all I can say. ;)

10. "Rise robots, rise". Search out that band. Fima's an awful freindly fellah too...chatted me up good after a Lost Tribe gig.