Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fima Ephron

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Hello,
    I got this guy's cd ("Soul Machine") when I was in Vancouver in June, and I must say that it is probably one of my current favorites. I just picked up Hasidic New Wave's "Kabalogy" which features Ephron on bass and I really like it, too. Just wondering if there were any other Ephron fans on here.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Definitely a talent deserving wider recognition.

I like his stuff with Action Figure Party (that one-off with Greg and Pamela Kurstin) too.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I like everything I've heard by him with Screaming Headless Torsos...

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  5. What kind of music do The Screaming Headless Torsos and Lost Tribe play? His solo album and Hasidic New Wave are extremely influenced by Klezmer music.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    SHT is an almost Avant-Funk outfit; they'll take a tune like Miles' "Blue In Green" & re-invent it(like in a Reggae-style).
    I strongly recommend the SHT's DEBUT album. "Free Man", written by Ephron, is a lesson in poly-metrics. ;)

Lost Tribe is a little more "jazzy"(maybe what '90s Fusion is supposed to sound like?).

Anyway, I totally dig SHT, Soul Machine, the HNW(really my best find of 2002), & Lost Tribe.
    Most of the guys in these bands are part of NYC's "underground".
    That they often play The Knitting Factory is another clue to what these guys are about...

Check out www.torsos.com

7. Do Lost Tribe and SHT have that Jewish/Middle Eastern vibe that HNW has?

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No.
    Check out some sound bites from torsos.com or Tower Records, CD Now, etc.

The Middle Eastern/Ethnic vibe is called Klezmer...a genre onto itself(as I just recently found out).

9. Interesting...
    Hey Jim, you wouldn't happen to know about any of the other artists on Tzadik's "Radical Jewish Culture" imprint, would you?

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BL14 x 2-
    No, you got me on that one.
    I'll nose around & see what I can find out.