Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Final bit of advice on fretless purchase sought

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suicas, Dec 20, 2004.

1. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    After searching long and far for a lefty fretless 5 or 6 string, I've narrowed it down to 3 basses (the only ones within my price range and actually available to me).

These are:

Warwick Corvette fretless 5 (~£1000)
    Carvin LB75WPF (Claro Walnut fretless 5, P-series pickups, around £900)
    Peavey Cirrus fretless 5, bubinga (~£1300)

Other thing that's important to me is ease of playing - I use PCs at work all day, something I can play without hand/wrist ache is a must.

Anyone got any thoughts on choosing between these 3 for the prices given? Anything in the same range that I've completely overlooked?

I know the prices are horribly high compared to the US, still looking at importing one...

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If comfort is a concern, I suggest that you play all three of them quite a bit before making a decision.

For me, the Warwick would be out, if comfort were a concern. Corvettes tend to be a bit neck heavy, and have a square neck profile. Both of these factors give me major pain in my left wrist.

For comfort, the Peavey and the Carvin are pretty close.

Comfort aside, which is the best?

IMHO it is the Cirrus.

When I bought my Zon fretless, I was looking at a Pedulla PentaBuzz(awesome bass!) and a Lakland D55-94.

I played a Cirrus fretless 5, and immediately forgot all about the Pedulla and the Lakland. The Cirrus was more comfortable than either of them, and sounded better too.

In the end, the Zon won out. Why? It was marginally better tonewise than the Cirrus, barely. But it was used, and so I got a much better deal on it. The dealer wanted too much for the new Cirrus.

I think that I made the right choice, but if the price had been right on the Cirrus, I think that I would have been just as happy with it.

A year later I bought a fretted Cirrus 6 string.

Get the Cirrus.;)

3. I have a Carvin 6 string fretless. It is about 11 years old, and unless something has changed at Carvin, the tone is pathetic :spit: . I recently upgraded it to Bartolini electronics and that helped quite a bit. I will probably change the pickups to Bartolinis as well before long if I decide to keep the bass. As far as playability, it is nice. Carvin has a nice bridge set up too that will allow you to adjust the string spacing. The neck on mine is very comfortable. I just recently picked up a Warwick Thumb fretted 6 string. This bass is VERY heavy. The neck is large (and it has to be to accomodate 20 mm string spacing), but some licks that I've always had trouble with on a four string come pretty easy on this 6 string warwick. The reason I wanted the warwick was the wide string spacing and I knew I would have to deal with a big neck. I'm thrilled with it so far and I don't think the large neck will be a problem for me. (But, I have big, fat fingers!)

Even though my last five bass purchases over the years have been mail order and without playing the basses, it is always something of a gamble if you can't get your hands on one first. Except for the tone on the Carvin that I bought, and a bridge problem on a used electric upright, I've been pleased with each of those basses.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

4. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I wish I could.. Being a lefty in the UK I haven't managed to find a single one of these basses in stock anywhere, it's been a struggle just to find places that can order them from the US for me!

To be honest the Cirrus has been top of the list for a while, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed out on anything in the similar price range.

If you can point me in the direction of any US retailers who might be able to order me a Cirrus from Peavey's custom shop, then I think I'd be sold :)