1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Final decision between Fender jazz models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mitchinboxer, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

Jan 25, 2012
    Hey there TBers, long time reader but now I actually have a question of my very own. I have had my Fender Modern Player J for a while now, but I have finally saved up enough money from my Jamba Juice job for a higher quality bass to hopefully last a lifetime. I'm looking at two models right now: the MIM Reggie Hamilton J and the MIJ Aerodyne J, and I just can't decide. I play all kinds of music, so I definitely need a wide tonal palette. I'm looking for a Fender J, and it has to be under 1,000, so if you have some good reasons for me to get one of these in particular, or a different model, that would be much appreciated! Thanks

-Mitch

2. Wait for an American Vintage 62 Jazz on Talkbass to pop up.

3. I'd go used. Much more bass for the $$$$$

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    You say yourself in your own post that you're looking for a Fender J, and then in the very same post you say you're looking at a Reggie and an Aerodyne. I'm confused.

5. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    i've only played with the Aerodyne and the Reggie in stores so i don't have much experience with them. Of the 2 I personally liked the Aerodyne myself. If you check the threads a lot of folks on TB are split on their opinion of the P/J pup set up. Although the threads iv'e read seem to lean toward active electronics over passive in that set up, which leads you to the Hamilton. You may want to check those out for a more informed opinion. I'm a passive J man myself.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

This is a good idea. Also, MIA Standard, and Roadworn basses are worthy, if a passive Fender Jazz is what you are seeking. :D

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    the Reggie Ham is AWESOME!!!

8. What's wrong with the one you've got?
    GASSING?

S

9. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Or you could save yourself a few hundred and put in a coil tap for ech pup on your MP

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Save your dough or figure out a way to turn that 1K into 1200. Then 1200 into 1500 etc. Talkbass is the devil's kitchen & ebay & Guitar Center are his hands & feet.

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    According to Fender the OP is 100% correct. The Aerodyne Jazz Bass and the Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz Bass are both J(azz) basses. The OP is just using Fender's official terminology, not the TB slang that would call them P/Js.

To the OP I would say that while I have no issues with MIM basses and own one myself that I love, they may not be a huge step up from a Modern Player. You may or may not consider them to be "lifetime" basses but if they are the MP could be argued to be as well. If you really want a lifetime bass you might be better served with a new or used MIA Fender even if the former requires you to save up for a few more months. Even so, I am sure you would be quite pleased with either of the MIM's that you mention for many years to come.

Ken

12. Gawd! Go for the Reggie. I've played one (not the CS version at that time) for a few gigs. I loved it so-o-o-o-o-o-o much I'm going all the way for the CS Reggie Hamilton now.

I have never had a CS in my hands, but it HAS to be pure sex. The Conventional (read: lower priced) Reggie P-J combo just puts the voices of angels from Heaven in your hands.

Not that I don't love my MIM Deluxe Jazz too - but the Reggie just --- just --- just ------------------------I dunnow but I gotta stop now.

Oh yeah - I also don't believe that the Moderns are much of a step up from a standard Jazz either - or too. Not for the money anyway.

13. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I agree with going used, just be sure to check out the basses and play them in person if you can. Sticking with Fender and I assume a J bass I would suggest looking at a MIJ, pretty much as great in tone and build as a MIA or better yet as others have said American made basses show up every so often and can be had for under $1000 (unless they are vintage or formerly owned by a famous player). Or with $1000 to spend you could probably have no problem finding and buying a great MIM J...or two of them.

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +100

IMO, that's a 'lifetime' jazz bass.

15. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks for all the input, guys! I think I've made my decision now. I get all the love for the high quality passive models, they're total classics, but as a player who slaps and does a lot of dancier, Of Montreal type stuff along with the usual jazz combos and blues bands, I can never get myself to pull the trigger on them. I was leaning to the Reggie Hamilton just a little from the get go, but I figured there must be some kind of problem with it, seemed too good to be true! But looks like it's good to go. I've found one used on craigslist for 600 and now I will take the leftovers and start to save up for an American Standard. Best of both worlds!

16. Tell me about it, I'm totally in love with my AV62 P bass and I'm GASing hard for an AV62 J in a custom colour (I can dream, can't I?) but white will do.

17. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    + 1 for the AV 62 J

18. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    You couldnt have had the Modern Player "for a while". They just came out. Keep playing your bass and save your $. Then decide what you want. I would highly recommmend trying the American Special JB. I love mine. The neck is ridiculously good.

19. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    brilliant

20. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Sounds like a good choice for you, you can go straight passive P for your blues and crank it up for everything else. There's a lot to like about it. Enjoy!