Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FINAL FIGHT: Les Claypool Vs. Flea

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mike lead, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok... Let`s see who is the best... Is not about only speed, or whatever. Is overall, Who is more inspirational? Who is coolest? Who is crazyer? Who is groover? Primus or Chili Peppers? Larry Lalonde or John Frusciante?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The only guy of the whole bunch I REALLY dig is Herb.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Chops-wise, Les blows Flea out of the water, that's for sure. JMX is right, though, Herb indeed rules. I somehow can't imagine Les in a band that does non-Primusy music, whereas I'm sure Herb could play most about anything or with most about anyone and still kick arse. <3 Herb.

Ler, too, is an amazing guitarist and Mr. Frusciante couldn't shred the way he does to save his grandmother.

4. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    deffinately flea, the guy is a bass god

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    tick tock.............

6. I beg to differ.

Have you heard frog brigade or oysterhead?

Though, vocally, they're very, very much the norm for claypool, I think his playing style was quite different.

Just my opinion, of course.

Oh, I vote for Les. :D

7. user

user

Oct 26, 2003
    Chicago
    I think theres no doubting that Les is a far better player than Flea.

8. Death! I say! Death!!!!!!

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    DEFINITELY LES. Flea is good, but not that good. Les makes it just look like nothing while he's playing, and singing and playing.
    At the concert I went to, he started playing one of the songs, and was talking about how he appreciated us with the baracade, and making jokes, and telling us that flash photogrophy sucks, while playing it perfectly.
    He busted out the most amazing solo's I have ever seen and heard, and was looking up at the audience a lot while going ALL over the neck.
    HE IS INSAAAAAAAAAANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uhmm, don't we already have a Mike that posts pointless threads. :smug:

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Both great, but Les is more talented and can play circles around Flea. But there's something about Flea's lines that really sound great with each song. I guess from a technical side, my vote goes to Les, but from maybe a musical side, Flea.

12. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Musically, Flea. Hell, Flea all around for me. Les is one hell of an awesome bassist, but otherwise Flea kills him IMHO.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, I have the Oysterhead album, and his solo on "Little Faces" in particular just screams "PRIMUS! PRIMUS!" to me. Note choice? Check. Playing style? Check. Tone? Check. I really like the album, but to me, there were a bit too many "Primusisms" in his bass lines.

I still wonder how Metallica would've sounded had he joined the band, though. :D

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :rolleyes:

Go practice..

15. Hmm... :D

16. I vote for Les. Although I enjoy listening to RHCP, Flea has a more uniform style to his playing, while Les has that sloppy technique that I have come to enjoy. RHCP are good, but Primus Sucks!!!

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Can someone please explain to me why these "versus" topics are so important? Will it dissuade you from one to the other based on what the majority decides??

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's a variation on "my dad can beat up your dad" (or replace dad with big brother). :p

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Les > Flea
    Frusciante > Larry

20. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Ditto. Really!

Thread Status: