Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

final (for now) woohoo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allan grossman, Mar 15, 2002.

1. I got the 115XL today - thanks, Gard. Here's a pic of the finished (for this week) rig:

[​IMG]

Top to bottom -
    • SKB Rollex 4 space rack
    • Furman PL Plus power conditioner
    • Korg DTR-1 tuner
    • Ampeg SVP-BSP preamp
    • Peavey DPC1000 power amp
    • Eden D-210XLT
    • Eden D-115XL

How's it sound? Awesome - I can't imagine needing more power than this. I may turn the tweeter down a little bit once I get it in on a stage but right now it's pretty amazing. Clear, articulate, and loud.

I know bassaussie got some new stuff today too - let's hound him until we get pics.

cheers,

allan

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sweet.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, Alan. Congrats!

That rack must be light as a feather.

4. JMX said...

That rack must be light as a feather.

I haven't put it on a scale yet but I'm pretty sure it weighs less than 30 lb.

allan

5. How do you find the combo of your SVP and DPC 1000? It's not thin at all...? Thick and rich fer ya or what? I went the seperate pre-amp/power amp set up years ago and gave up on it because of it's anemic sound. I have found that an integrated amp always sounds better. I don't want to beleive this of course.....prove me wrong!

6. Mad Subwoofer asked...

How do you find the combo of your SVP and DPC 1000? It's not thin at all...? Thick and rich fer ya or what? I went the seperate pre-amp/power amp set up years ago and gave up on it because of it's anemic sound. I have found that an integrated amp always sounds better. I don't want to beleive this of course.....prove me wrong!

Well, I'm not much into proving people wrong these days, but there's no electrical reason why a component amp should sound thinner than an integrated one. The SVP is a hybrid amp - it's solid state but it's got one 12AX7 in it - I can turn a few knobs and get a pretty warm sound out of it with no problem. I think the tone on this rig is anything but thin.

No two people are gonna go after exactly the same sound, but this rack seems to meet my needs pretty well.

allan

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Nice rig.

8. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Very nice.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very nice, man. I often use the same two cabs driven by an Eden WT400. Clean, full and punchy with plenty of low-end.

10. So you'd recomennd that PV DPC as an amp option for sure,eh? Single rack space..enough "punch" and depth for you?
    SVP-BSP..right. I was thinking the SVP-Pro w/ the 5 tubes.

11. I sure would - I'm pretty happy with this one. The power amp's not too noisy and it's loud enough to crack plaster :eek:

I'll probably replace the BSP with an SVP-PRO (or maybe an Aguilar) at some point but for now it's doing the job.

allan

12. Cool....too bad about the digital thing. That doesn't creep you out...just a little?
    :D

13. Ok...I could be wrong. Do those class D amplifiers convert your lovely signal into little 1's and 0's or do they just control the mosfets, keeping your signal path analog the whole way?

14. I've A/B'ed my SVP-Pro vs. the BSP, and the Pro won. It actually convinced the guy that worked there to get the Pro instead. He's a buddy of mine, and he wanted to get the BSP for his new rig, so I told him he needed to try out the Pro also. He didn't have one in stock, so I brought mine. For me, it just works better. One very tweakable channel w/ a footswitch EQ seems to be the setup.

And I really really like your setup! Has a sense of purpose and execution. Seems like you wanted to find the most compact, best sounding setup you could find. What with the 1 rack space components, pre/power/tuner/PC setup. Very cool man. Big thumbs up.[​IMG]

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Very cool and sssssweet rig Allan!!!!! I also have a rack with a Furman RP8L power conditioner, a Hartke HA 3500 (solid state AND tube preamp, selectable), and a Aphex Aural Exciter in it. Like the Korg tuner u have. Hmmmmmmm.... Oh, my 4x10 and 1x15 (Avatar) will be here soon. Can't wait to post a pick of mine as well. :D :D

16. Mad Subwoofer said...

Ok...I could be wrong. Do those class D amplifiers convert your lovely signal into little 1's and 0's or do they just control the mosfets, keeping your signal path analog the whole way?

I kinda sorta answered this in the Stewart World thread - but I couldn't find anything that said the DPC series digitized the signal, and IMO that'd be a big selling point - so I think they're just controlling the mosfets.

cheers,

allan

17. tufnuts said...

I've A/B'ed my SVP-Pro vs. the BSP, and the Pro won. It actually convinced the guy that worked there to get the Pro instead. He's a buddy of mine, and he wanted to get the BSP for his new rig, so I told him he needed to try out the Pro also. He didn't have one in stock, so I brought mine. For me, it just works better. One very tweakable channel w/ a footswitch EQ seems to be the setup.

And I really really like your setup! Has a sense of purpose and execution. Seems like you wanted to find the most compact, best sounding setup you could find. What with the 1 rack space components, pre/power/tuner/PC setup. Very cool man. Big thumbs up.[​IMG]

Thanks a whole lot, tufnuts.

I think I'd have liked the PRO better as well - but I got a good deal on the BSP. Maybe in a few months I'll swap it out and put the BSP on the auction block.

You're right, I was looking for tone, power and light weight. I'm getting too old to hump this stuff around any more :D

thanks again,

allan

18. Quadzilla said...

Very cool and sssssweet rig Allan!!!!! I also have a rack with a Furman RP8L power conditioner, a Hartke HA 3500 (solid state AND tube preamp, selectable), and a Aphex Aural Exciter in it. Like the Korg tuner u have. Hmmmmmmm.... Oh, my 4x10 and 1x15 (Avatar) will be here soon. Can't wait to post a pick of mine as well. :D :D

Can't wait to see it, Quadzilla. I'm amazed at how much noise you can get out of smaller components these days.

Post a pic when you can, okay?

thanks -

allan

19. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Alan:

Have you been peeking at my rig again?

[​IMG]

Seriously though, that combination will kick some major booty. I've gotten more compliments on my tone since I got the Eden setup.

20. Great minds think alike, grooveguru - I have the bottom half of your rig and a 55-94 but my backup is a Jazz Bass.

Where did you find the 115XL? They're not listed on Eden's website - I didn't know they made them. Gard saved me a few bucks by helping me pass on a tweeter I didn't need.

allan