1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Final pedal collection (yeah, right!) & comments

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wild Steve, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    Finished assembling my pedalboard, so thought I'd post a few comments for anyone interested.

Stagg pedalboard - these are really cheap but I really like them, had the choice to get a Pedaltrain but actually prefer these. Not as sturdy as some but unless you're throwing it about all over the place or putting heavy amps and cabs on it it's more than strong enough

TC Polytune - Perfect, couldn't be better, extremely accurate, easy to use, alternate tunings, even has a power out to power another pedal

Diamond Bass Comp - Very simple to use (good for me as I'm not that knowledgeable about compressors), dead quiet, works very well. Also the EQ knob is incredibly flexible - turned all the way clockwise it makes my TBird sound like a Stingray! I tend to use this one dial rather than tweak eq on amp or bass - is there any flaw in doing this that I don't know about?

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe - Seriously beefy and agressive, haven't found any song to use it in yet. Combined with chorus it's even more beefy, and with Fuzz it's like the end of the world

Fender Sublime - Very growly, good sound, but like all fuzz I guess it tends to get totally lost amongst distorted guitars. Only use now and again

Strymon Ola, Blue Sky and Orbit - All the Strymon pedals are incredible! I tried a TC Stereo Chorus Flanger which I thought was excellent, then the guy in shop said "try these" and bought out the Strymon Orbit - I'd never heard of them but it blew the TC SCF away, so much more clarity and presence. Each of these also has a favourite switch so you dial in 2 sounds and flick between them. Expensive, but sooo worth it

Way Huge Pork Loin - Pretty subtle, I use this a fair bit to thicken things up just a little or for a boost. The first one I had stopped working, traced to a lose connector inside

Empress Para EQ - Versatile and easy to use. I got this just for the ability to tame boominess in certain rooms and on certain notes (primarily G# on the A string and D on the E string - why these boom more than any others I don't know). Works well for this purpose, but have to be careful to target it just right or you lose bassiness in the rest of the notes. Also use it as a boost - set the boost to +3-5db and hit the switch when needed

1 Spot - I also use the 1 Spot daisy chains and I have to say I've never had any problems at all. They now have an 8 plug daisy chain, so 1 of them powers all my pedals except the Diamond, which likes 18v anyway (although the 1 Spot powers it fine with the polarity reverser that came with the pedal). Problems I've had with buzz and hum in the past have never had anything to do with the 1 Spot, its been either patch cables or single PSUs that came with pedals (including the Strymon one)

And that's it - forever, no more pedal buying for me! ;)
    Hope this might be of use to someone.
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. Nice! The Sub-lime makes the tuner look like a Mini :)

3. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    Crazy isn't it! I've always thought that even if I don't use it for fuzz I can always hit someone with it if they attack me!
    Steve

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Fail.

I could squeeze at LEAST 3 more pedals onto that board :)

5. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Nov 28, 2011
    Toronto
    Really nice board, I like your style, and I've got a few of your pedals on mine.

6. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    Which ones do you have?
    Steve

7. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Nov 28, 2011
    Toronto
    Pork Loin, BOD, I had the Sublime for awhile, really nice pedal but not for me, plus I'll probably end up picking up the Diamond comp at some point, I've only heard good things about it.

PS..Not trying to be a pain or a jerk, but next time if you post your pedal board in the Post Your Pedal Board threat (I think we're at PYPB 38) you'll get a lot more feedback and comments on your board, plus it keeps the clutter down.

8. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    OK, will do, didn't know about that thread.
    Cheers,
    Steve

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Great photo and I'm loving the Ric!

10. Nice board, I DIG!!. One thing though, you said " like all fuzz it gets lost in the guitars". I remember saying that at one point, and after spending the last six months trying a ton of dirt pedals I find that these three really stand out in a band setting. For OD-the Rusty Box,
    for distortion RatTail and for fuzz both the Grey Stache and Pickle Pie B have been my favorites. I finally slowed down buying pedals because I am so happy with these

11. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    Thanks for the recommendations. What do you think make those stand otu / cut through hwere others don't?
    Steve

12. No problem. The Rusty and GreyStache both have Mid controls, this really helps cut through the mix, especially because most muff based fuzz have mid scoops(tone stacks with built it lower mids). The pickle pie B has a blend knob that when used with the shape can dial in some great tones that cut through. And the RatTail has a filter when dialed before noon brings out the mids. All really great pedals. There are more that have these features, I just found the best tones with these, especially the GS for fuzz that really cuts through