1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FINAL PRICE DROP 1978 Ibanez 2398B lawsuit era - excellent!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by daveman, Jan 4, 2020.

1. daveman

daveman Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Price:
    $1100
    Strings:
    IMG_4421.jpg
    Price reduced to $1,100 shipped. Ibanez made many models during the lawsuit era, and this one represents the pinnacle of their art. It's a super rare, neck through version of a well known design, lovingly recreated in every detail. Their catalog from the period states that the body is curly maple with a one-piece through body hard maple neck. The binding is amazing on both the body and the side of the neck, which is 33 1/2" scale. This particular bass is in pristine condition - I bought it from a collector probably 20 years ago and it must've sat in the case it's entire life. It's hard to find a blemish anywhere on the body. The only bummer is the pitting on some of the chrome. We plugged this in alongside the others I'm selling and it sounded pretty great. It comes with the original case and pickup cover. These neck-through models are extremely rare as any internet search will bear out. One of the bolt-on versions priced at $900 sold here recently, so I'm asking $1,400 shipped. IMG_4422.jpg IMG_4425.jpg IMG_4420.jpg IMG_4429.jpg IMG_4423.jpg IMG_4428.jpg IMG_4430.jpg 29.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    JCooper, Mertle72, TolerancEJ and 4 others like this.
  2. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

OOOhhhh. I'd be willing to bet that this plays better than the real thing. Necks on these are buttah...

semiprohooker and FRoss6788 like this.
  3. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    That is so much AWESOME!:bassist:

GASSSSSSSS:help:

4. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    There is one for sale locally that is very close in serial number......I’m so tempted but it has been defretted! Your bass looks to be in incredible shape. GLWTS

mb94952 likes this.
  5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Wow!

daveman likes this.
  6. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    Gorgeous!

daveman likes this.
  7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i almost bought one of these a few years ago..

i still think it's such a cool piece for a true player/enthusiast - or, admittedly, in this condition it's great for a collector.

ibanez makes some really fine stuff - this is a unique piece of history and and all out excellent bass guitar.

GLWTS!

daveman likes this.
  8. daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Thanks!

9. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    I’d love to read the actual law suit, probably something like “ hey Ibanez it’s bad enough that you ripped off our design but did you really have to build them better, now we’re taking the gloves off “

semiprohooker, mb94952 and daveman like this.
  10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    how does this actually compare as far as sound? is it a clone in that sense?

11. daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    I played it side by side with a friends 4003 and we thought it sounded really close. That was a few years ago and I don’t know how the specs compare - but unlike some Rick copies that use mudbuckers or jazz style pickups - these seem designed to get that Rick sound.

mb94952 likes this.
  12. Global Citizen

Global Citizen Supporting Member

May 6, 2010
    CANADA

?

13. Howz the frets on that sweety?

14. daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Sale pending.

mb94952 likes this.