1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FINAL PRICE DROP!! Rare 1982 Ovation "Ultra Bass" 4 String Precision Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bass10bfb, Jun 6, 2016.

1. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Price:
    $350
    Strings:
    NOW ASKING $350 SHIPPED!!!!

Thanks for looking!!! I am selling a very rare 1982 Ovation "Ultra Bass" 4 String Precision Bass. It is in very good condition for a 34 year old bass. I love playing it. It has a great setup now and really kicks butt. The Dimarzio pickups sound great, and you can adjust the pickup screws themselves. I have never seen that on any bass before, and it makes me want it on every bass!!!
    The only reason now for me to sell is the fact that I have a 1972 all original Fender P bass, and this one won't get the time it truly deserves. It hangs right there with my 72 P bass and is very light compared to my P bass and all my other basses actually. I also am getting a new head, cab, and bass in the next few weeks that need paid for!!

Asking $350 (that price is shipped to you). U.S. only. Paypal or U.S.P.S. Money Order are o.k.

Here is a link to the original thread; I will also follow it with some pics that I have just taken.

SOLD - **SOLD** 1982 Ovation "Ultra Bass" Precision, Dimarzio's, HSC..slick!! TRADES!

P1010206_zpscxvkoek0.

P1010210_zpsx95pst7i.

P1010211_zpss0s7xijc.

P1010220_zps9z1wisib.

P1010215_zpsfh2ntqho.

P1010212_zpsxh2f9sw5.

P1010209_zpst46018nj.

P1010218_zpsybxmzdfq.

P1010219_zpsfvbsi2ea.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Sundrop66, comatosedragon and JCooper like this.
  2. Sundrop66

Sundrop66 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Parker, CO
    I'm curious about the lack of a series/parallel switch; all other images of Ovation Ultra Basses I've seen have this switch. Given the short list of owners and excellent condition of this bass, it seems odd that it would be missing or removed yet still have the stock Dimarzio pickup. But what do I know, maybe the Dimarzio doesn't sound that great in parallel and the switch isn't that useful anyway? Love the way this bass looks and the quality parts.

3. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Hey Sundrop66; I am not sure about the switch. All I know is when I got it, there wasn't one. I got the bass with every intention of being my main gigging 4 string, but then I picked up an all original 72 Fender P bass and just don't play this one because of that. BUT, even without that switch, this one hangs right there with my 72 P, it is that good of a bass. It has killer components and is a solid built bass. I would keep it if I was going to play it, but it will just sit here. I am going to make someone a great deal on it if anyone ever gets really interested in it.

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Beautiful bass.

The Ovation UBK(Kahler-equipped ones) basses here have the switch.
    The "normal" position is the good sound position, the "switched" position sounds like lame pickups IMO. Never use the switch on the Ovations and a couple of other basses here that have that setup from the factory.

bass10bfb likes this.
  5. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Thanks for the info. Johnny Crab!!! Much obliged; I had no idea about that. Hopefully that will help everyone. This is such a great sounding and playing bass. I truly hate it just sits here without getting played. It deserves more for sure!!!!

6. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    No problem, that's what TB is for.

Their current pickup model DP-122 has similar options with adjustable pole pieces and the ability to wire in a "Great Sound" vs "Not So Great Sound". The basses here that got the DP-122's always get put in with no switch.
    DiMarzio Model P® | DiMarzio

The ONLY use I could fathom for it is to engage it, spend time EQ'ing for a really unique bass tone and run with that in a muddy room since it does remove a bunch of low end(body) OR to record with and make bass players try to guess how you got that sound....from my experience.

bass10bfb likes this.
  7. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Is the pickguard aluminum or something else?

8. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Pickguards on the UBK's here are plastic. Since that one had the "switch mod", it may be an exception.
    Be good if he could pull the pickguard off for pics from the back/inside. A number of Hondo/Fame basses made at the same time and possibly same factory have very old Dimarzio "patent applied for" stickers on the pickups. I say "same time and/or factory" because the necks, pickups, and hardware are VERY similar. Necks are the same except Ovation has the fancy router work on the headstock.

9. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    I will take the pickguard off in the morning and try to get some pics for everybody to answer any questions. I apologize for the late replies. I am in the middle of a divorce and going from house to house. Not had much time to do anything.

10. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Been there a couple of times. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Cray, a few good books, friends, and road crew+band got me through the worst parts. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

bass10bfb likes this.
  11. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Here are a few pics. Sorry for the darkness of the pics. Not much light and the phone is not the best. Pretty basic in there as far as that goes. It did have the stickers on the pickups just like Johnny Crab had mentioned. I don't know about the "switch mod". There is that place right out from the 2 pots that could have been a place for a switch (maybe??). But that may have been too close to the input jack. I really don't know enough about the history of the bass or that much about the model of the bass itself. Best I can say is how great it looks and sounds right now right here in my hands, which is great. It is a beautiful bass, and if not for a Fender 72 P, this one would be my main gigging bass.
    if anyone needs more pics, let me know. I will leave it apart for another day just in case.

20160728_071733_zpsn4mbnit0.

20160728_071729_zps3do9slbr.

20160728_071903_zpsb8sxvpjv.

20160728_071808_zpsej7qytra.

20160728_071853_zpsp9jgkxzx.

20160728_071901_zpsvvoybz7x.

12. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    The Fame/Hondo's I mentioned have an orange capacitor and the same foil liner in the cover but a few have it lining the entire back of the pickguard. Be very careful with the pickups, Due to their age and the glue they used(I think), the magnets can be knocked loose.....had that happen on one.

Those are Dimarzio's bass versions of "Patent Applied For" pickups(the first ones made, like sought-after Gibson PAF's) so the bass owner can let any guitarists with attitudes know.

bass10bfb likes this.
  13. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Thanks for the info. Johnny Crab!!!

14. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Sold and on its way to Colorado tomorrow!!! Thanks Barry!!!

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  15. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Congrats to the buyer!