1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Final Purchase: Electric Mistress XO, BF-2, or Nano Stone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jufros, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I'm looking for something that can do ambient as well as funky.

I realize these pedals are all a bit different but I'm about to add the LAST piece of gear to my board for the year. I have a great board at the moment that consists of (in order):
    EXH Micro POG
    EXH Micro Q-Tron
    Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
    Electronix Gemini Drive
    Boss ODB-3

I love every single one of these pedals. The ODB-3 and Sparkle Drive are probably my favorites. But despite the fact that I LOVE the sound that I'm getting out of the ODB, tragically, it just doesn't fit with my band at the moment and I'm keeping my pedal board to 5 pedals. After I got the Gemini, I was able to get a high gain distortion/OD that was much more usable for our material, so the ODB is leaving the board for the time being.

I'd like to add a modulation effect to take its place. I've read great things about the EM and Nano Stone. Some of our material is funky, some is heavy, and some is ambient and spacey. With the Q-Tron in my arsenal, I'm leaning towards the XO Mistress to fill out my ambient needs. However, I'm worried that it's a little too "soft" and delicate for quicker passages and that I wouldn't be able to get an articulate sound of it if I wanted to use it for funkier riffs. Any thoughts?

The BF-2 definitely seems more articulate and it is a bit cheaper as well. I don't have a chorus though and despite the fact that I doubt I'll use it nearly as much as the flanger, it might be nice to have. Still, I'm willing to sacrifice a chorus for a more flexible effect.

The Nano Stone is completely different but it sounds amazing. I'm just not sure whether I'd rather have a flanger or a phaser but I think I'm leaning towards flanger. I would rock both the Mistress and the Stone but I'd have to get another daisy chain and my board is absolutely tiny. Plus, I'd rather keep it small anyway.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Boss flanger is nice and small, but I was never a fan (too electronic sounding IMHO). I'm a huge fan of my old Electric Mistress and Deluxe Electric Mistress, but they're big and unwieldy. Haven't tried the XO version, but looks somewhat less big and annoying. Small Stone is wonderful, but a flanger can do what it does for the most part.

My vote is get a Mistress.

3. I would reccomend the BF-2, I like the core sound you get from it, but it's also very, very tweakable and very noticable in the mix if you set it right!

4. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Is the XO too soupy for general use? If you all think you can use the XO's flange for runs and such I'll probably snag one. It seems versatile but I haven't heard any bass sound clips that weren't aiming for maximum swirliness. If anyone has any recorded or would like to throw down a quick and dirty and one, please don't be shy. Ah decisions.

5. jazzercountry

jazzercountry

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I prefer the DOD FX72, myself. They're cheap, too.

6. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Any particular reasons why?

7. jazzercountry

jazzercountry

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Sounds more organic, less clanky to me.

8. To answer your question, yes the Mistress is indeed capable of subtle flange tones for articulate passages. Just keep the flange depth knob no higher than noon-ish for that sort of thing.

The reason that most people use extreme settings in their clips is that the Mistress is such a unique sounding flanger, that sometimes its hard to make yourself just set it subtly and play. :D I know that I always want to crank the depth and make the "ball-bearings going down a pipe" sound.

Also, the chorus on it fantastic. Nice warbly, wet chorus; it doesn't know that its digital and supposed to sound sterile and cold.

9. Azarus

Azarus

Oct 16, 2006
    Here's a quick and *dirty* one:

http://rapidshare.com/files/225618922/46_2.mp3.html

Rate, Flanger and Chorus knob are all slightly before noon.

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Nano Stone? Do you mean Small Stone Nano or Small Clone Nano? Definitely not the latter. The former I like having after dirt pedals.

11. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I just bought an Electric Mistress XO. Stoked for it.

12. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Nano Stone = Nano Small Stone

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    [/thread]

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    You'll enjoy it. :)

If you're interested in more clips in different situations, there are old decent clips I made which can be found in my review thread (in this forum) and in the TalkBass Wiki.

Additionally, check out my band's YouTube for the song "Thick" - I use it extensively in that song. You can't miss it - I use it in the beginning and later on as well.