Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

final rig, kustom 1200 and 2 Hartke 8x10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clanner, Jan 1, 2006.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    finally decided on a final rig, the kustom 1200 hd head and hatrke XL (aluminum cone) 810 and a hartke vx (paper cone) 810. interchangeable for different sounds, too much? most likely. but i might as well have a cab as a backup

planning on a/bing the 2 cabs, and depending on which one I like the most (aluminum or paper cone) I'll get 2 of those.

thnx for all that helped with research on the head

would the aluminum's last longer on the road?

can somebody give me some price quotes on the cabinets?

including the price of the head (somewhere between $400 and $460) I'll have around $1400 to use, possibly more, $940-$1000 after i buy the head

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Too much. Way, way too much. Most people cut most of their gigs with a 4x10 or less. You're saying your need four times that? One 8x10 could be reasonable, I suppose, but there has got to be a better option out there for you.

3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    i know, just searching for what the head can power (2 4 ohm cabs) more than likely will come with a 410 that will either be paired with a 215 or up-graded to an 810 rock gigs, hour+ set)

just wanted to see if anyone has tried a rig like this.

sorry for the overboardedness, playeds a new years show earlier and sorta gauging my options for a new amp, the head is the only thing that is absolute, and i want to make sure i can get a solid cab (may try the Kustom 810 cab, any one played through one yet?)

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you're set on an 810 why not get THE 810? Ampeg.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you're gonna go Hartke and you want a 2 ohm load, get the 8x10 and the 2x15. Stack them and you'll have something that you can't even reach the controls on :D. I think a 2x15 would be of more use than a second 8x10, would add more low end. What's your budget?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you feel the need for two cabs, why not two 4x10s? That way you could use both for an 8-10 setup when you felt the need, and a more reasonable 4x10 for normal use. I can't imagine ANY situation where you'd need two 8x10s.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Because not everyone likes a boomy sound.

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    If you have the means to transport them-why not? I would be interested to hear about the difference between the Alum and the Paper cones.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Never miss a chance do you? I heard Tim Cole play through an AMPEG 8-10 a few weeks ago, and the sound wasn't boomy at all.

10. greaseball

greaseball

Dec 1, 2005
    Ampeg 810 boomy? :meh: Don't think a sealed cab like that gets boomy except in certain rooms with way too much low end cranked. I would love to hear someone on these boards offer a review of any of the 810's out there right now: Hartke,Peavey Pro, Aguilar, Eden, Fender, GK...They all make 810's, some of which are ported and some sealed. Where I live no music stores stock any of these except for the Ampeg. Many of these cabs are less money than the svt so any reviews offered here would be very welcome imho.

11. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I was never really happy with the sound of my SVT810 (80's era) and eventually traded for a 2x15 Peavey, which, I really don't like either. YMMV...

but back on the subject of 810's, I reacently saw Kings X and dUg P was blasting through FOUR SVT810s! I have no idea what he was driving them with, but it was in a rather small venue and frankly I was NOT impressed at all. It was very muddy, with the wave colliding all over the room. Uggh!

On the other hand, I listened to JJ Placencio in a slightly larger room, playing a KS through a Mesa M-Pulse 600 on an Epifani 4x10 that sounded abolutely AMAZING. Tight, clear, punchy, DEEEEeep and sa-weeet!

12. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I'm going to agree on the 2 4x10 statement. I play in a loud rock/metal band, I play thru one 410XLT and haven't needed anything more yet. I don't normally get much pa support, because my cab projects so much. Sure the 810 setup looks cool and all, and a lot of the rock guys around here use them. But to me, it's not really needed.

13. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    not really a fan of the ampegs, played one at a local store and it just didn't feel right, if that makes any sense. still searching for the cab, and for now i may get the 4x10 that comes with it and an 810 to experiment with soundwise. sell whichever one doesn't cut it, i run my sound flat, and occasionally boost the midrange.

budget, around 900-1000, possibly more depending on how things go.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Ox, how many cabs have you owned since you were born 12 years ago?

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm sorry dear boy, I think you're mistaken. I was born 17 years ago.

To me, and several other people, the Ampeg 8x10 sounds like it has a thick wool blanket over it. I've never been impressed with them, and I would like to hear an SVT through a clearer sounding cab to give a better judgement of it.

And to the post above, yes, sealed cabs can get boomy. Any cab can get boomy.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :smug: I'm sorry, the bus left and you weren't on it.

Anway, onto the science.

Seal cabs (acoustic suspension design in speaker speak) are not boomy. They are known to home/car/live music speaker makers the world over to be the tightest sounding cabs one can make. However, they want lots of power to deliver a good output.

Ported cabs (bass reflex design in speaker speak) are boomy. But they deliver more bass than acoustic suspension for the same power. Most car cabs are bass reflex.

Maybe you just have a different definition of boomy.

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    TWO 8x10's? How many guys in your road crew?

18. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    me guitarist and drummer. drummer and i shoould be able to handle them, but mor than likely only using one 810 for now.

didn't really think about this before but can anyone give a price for a 412?