Final Round: Peavey Battle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aarono, Mar 7, 2006.

1. aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Peavey Unity Dynabass ($350) (Late 80's is when this was produced/sold)

Peavey USA Millennium JB Plus ($450)

Both include their original case.

I'm down to the two basses listed and I'm torn, I personally think the Unity Dynabass is a bit ugly/boring compared to the Millennium, but I'm more in it for the quality and not looks.
  2. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Is the Dynabass painted or natural finish? Is it Koa? Are the electronics passive or active? Have you played both basses in question?

I really like my Dynabass (including the looks;) ) and I think that it is under-valued on the used market. I bought mine used. It was $430 shipped about five years ago. I still feel it was worth it. Heck..... here's a pic:

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are both killer basses. You can't go wrong with either of them. I would personally go for the USA Millennium, but I am a sucker for a great Jazz bass.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They're both the same quality, both extremely high. Go with what moves you. Personally I'm not a big fan of neck-through so I'd go with the Millenium USA.

FWIW I've owned a bolt-on Dyna-Bass 5 from the same period, and I now own a Millenium Standard. The Millenium with it's long top horn balances much better while playing. The quality of workmanship and materials was the same, that is to say, the same as my USA Fender Jazz.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That is a beautiful bass!!!!
  6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have a Dynabass Unity so my vote goes there.
  7. aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    I'm leaning more towards the Millenium due to the fact pretty much everyone I've talked to said both basses are high quality, so I'm thinking I should go with the better looking/more features (lack of active/passive switch, but has Drop D tuner).
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Without a doubt the Millennium. The Dynabass is nice but the Millennium just has the extras and is killer looking to boot.
  9. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have and play both. If it were me, I would go for the Millennium. 18 volt preamp with a sweepable mid. 35 inch neck. I feel it balances better than my Dynas, but they balance well also. Although, if the Dyna was a stock Unity Koa or Limited...they are beautiful basses and are somewhat rare. The Millennium would be easier to come by down the road...

10. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Someday I will be in the right place at the right time...definitely on my 'short list'
  11. id absolutely love one...there was a white one on ebay the other day...mmmmm.....but the new dean looks rather appetising
  12. Its surprising that until the Cirrus, Peavey's didn't have a great reputation amongst bass players, yet their quality is really good.