Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Final Setup on Shen

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Charles Shores, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    Hi guys!

I actually tried posting this thread yesterday, but it wouldn't post and I had to go to class.

I love my bass! My teacher complimented the great pizz sound of it, and everyone that's played it has liked it (except for one person, but she's kind of crabby all the time...:) )

I still have to take it in for the final setup, here's what I want done:

New fingerboard (which was included in the price, thicker gotz top quality), new nut (all it has now is a cheap ebony placeholder, I needed the bass for a show), bridge adjusters, and a full setup of those items.

I was wondering about these things:
    Ebony bumpers for the side of the bass, how much?

My teacher wants me to see about getting the string length shortened by a longer nut. What do you guys think about this?

Thanks!

Chad

2. A longer nut, do you mean putting a false nut on the fingerboard? What is the string length now?

3. Charles Shores

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    sort of, i cant really explain it.

it's 42.5"

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    he's probably talking about a false nut.

i'm about to have some adjusters put in the bridge on my shen i think i'm gonna add a pecanic talepiece if i can communicate with mike......just have to decide on what type of adjusters, about to start searching the archives.

5. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    So is this his teachers way of saying his bass
    just doesnt have enough balls? :bag:

Sorry, couldnt resist :D

6. Charles Shores

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Is $160 a good price for installation of 4 side bumpers?

Thanks
    Chad

7. Are you still thinking of those ebony side bumbers? $160 to glue on 4 small squares of wood is a bit much, IMO. There are cheaper alternatives that you can easily do yourself with rubber or wood.