1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Final Showdown: Mesa Boogie Diesel 410 vs. MarkBass 104HR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ghost Signal, Sep 30, 2013.

1. I'm sorry for constantly asking questions, but this will probably be the most important gear purchase of my life up to this point, so I want to make it count.

After weeks of searching and saving, it's come down to a later-model 600-watt Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 rear-ported, or an almost new 800-watt MarkBass 4x10, also rear-ported. Both 8 ohms. They'll both cost the same; $400. I know the specs on the MarkBass cab. I haven't been able to find a spec sheet on the Boogie.

After hours of research, mostly on this forum, I'm deadlocked. The MarkBass cabs are loved by some and hated by others, whereas the Mesa cabs are raved about by nearly everyone.

I'll be using either cab with an active 5-string bass and a powerful-but-toneless Peavey Firebass 700 head.

Which one handles the low-B better?

Which one will spice up the rather sterile sound of the head?

I've heard some people say the Diesel series cabs are more "old-school" sounding. What does that mean? Since I don't listen to much modern music, I don't know what a "modern" bass cab even sounds like.

Any advice and/or opinions will be greatly appreciated. I have about 18 hours to make a final decision...

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I dont know the Markbass cab. The Mesa will be more aggressive.

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'd ignore the watt ratings. I doubt you'll find much difference in the effective output of either cab.

I've had multiple cabs from both manufacturers before. For me the Mesa product stands above the MarkBass on several accounts. But either one is a quality purchase.

I find my own biases to be subjective, so I'd say pick the one that sounds the best to you, looks the best to you, has the build quality or fit and finish that you prefer, or is the one in better condition. Sound being the most important, but not always the only factor.

4. I recently got a MB 104 HR? its a 4x10, I like it very much. THe sound is very transparent and really shows the sound of the instrument. I do want to add the 1x15 MB cab at some point. Good Luck.

5. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I actually had the chance to A/B these cabs when I was helping a student build a rig. IIRC, the Mesa was more mid-forward, with good but not extended lows. The Markbass (the one my student took home) was more modern sounding, with a hump in the midbass/low mids and relaxed high mids. Lows were deeper than the Mesa.

6. Why ?

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Again, why? Assuming you think the 15 will be the perfect mate for your 410, it's my sad duty to inform you this is not true. Read the faq's and stickies, and search 410/115 cab pairings for plenty of eye opening information.