Final stages of rig building...QSC, Sansamp RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 23, 2004.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Hey, im in the final stages of building my rig, right now all i have is the avatar 2x10 from my old rig.

i want to buy the sansamp RBI and a QSC hopefully PLX power amp.

Do many people on this site use this set up? or played it? how do you think it will sound for a rock n roll band.

im looking at adding another cab later on, 2x12 or 1x15.

any ideas?

also i want to keep my rack small, 4 or so spaces. what do you recomend?
    RBI 1 space
    QSC 2 spaces
    1 space extra...

should i leave it blank to let it cool down a little?
    Power conditioner?
    Let it be for now and add something later, when i know what i want.

2. I have the same thing going on. Just bought an RBI (sounds great). I learned you can send the output of the RBI to the effects return of a standard bass amp or head. What this does is cancel out the pre-amp and you utilize the power amp section. RBI takes over as pre-amp. I've tried this through an old Sunn head and Nemesis 2X10 combo. Works great and gives killer tone compared to the original amp. I'm doing this until I get some bucks for a QSC PLX.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The RBI is an incredible value, nice choice.

Extra rack space: well, if you bought a *second* RBI, you could alternate between one and the other using a footswitch!
  4. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i was looking at the furmans with built in tuners, have to find them used though.
  5. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Power conditioners with built in tuners? Never heard of such a thing. Could somebody please inlighten me?
  6. Oh....By the way the RBI is excellent for Rock N' Roll... I've played Hendrix, old Bad Co. through STP, Pearl Jam, etc. and it sounds great. I play in two bands and members of both have commented how much better the bass tone is. Adding more power with QSC can only help...
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the furman pl-tuner is essentially a pl-8 with a tuner built in. I vote power conditioner. With or without the tuner.
  8. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    That's almost exactly what I want to do. I'm changing my Hartke 3500 head for a SansAmp RBI + BBE MaxCom compressor + DBX 131 graphic EQ + QSC power amp. Also I'm "re-speaking" both my 215XL and 4.5XL Hartke cabs (I like this cab configuration) with Eminence KAPPA PROs to completely blow up the house!!!! It will take some time and money, I know, but it'll be worth it. I've tried all of them separately on different setups but never all of them together so I don't know. Seems like the hell of a combination for me. Good luck!!!!

9. joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    The RBI/PLX is a great combo. Keep one rack space empty. Getting to the RBI XLR direct out can be a bitch.

The best tuners I've found are the Boss floor models. Maybe the new Peterson floor model too.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm sorry, I've been reading past this thread for many days now, and each time I can't help but think exactly what the "stages" of building a rig are, as well as what consitutes the "final" stages. Is this just a colloquialism? :eyebrow:
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    He's getting the kit versions. ;)
  12. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Wish I would have known about the tuner built in power units, would have saved me time and half a rack space. I just finally completed my rack by shoving a tu50 next to the half space wireless.

I thought about switching to the rbi, but I have an svp-bsp and I think I'd lose the massive lows and miss the footswitchable channels (don't think the rbi does this? just has a knob?). Not to mention the glowy little thing inside that give it that edge I enjoy :)

Also how much lighter is the plx over the rmx? I'd consider trading up if it's worth it. This rack is HEAVY! (powerbrite, scom plus, wireless/tuner, svp-bsp, rmx1450 from top to bottom)

EDIT: Duh, I should have just looked it up. It's half the weight, would save me 20 lbs. But is double the price. Hmm And it's a shallower chassis. I'd have to step up to the 1602 to get close to the power I am running now. It may be 100 watts more per channel than I am running, but the cabs will take it. I'd rather do that than give them 100 less by getting the smaller model.

Anyone want a used rm1450? ;)