1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally a cool rack solution for Gallien Kruger RB Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Neuroman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Forget about me. Save yourselves!

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    I am a Gallien Krueger RB head user and have been continually frustrated by the lack of functional and compact (not to mention cool looking) rack options for these heads. The cooling fan system on the top of the head unit precludes a "tight" rack solution and you end up having to have bulky wasted space and huge carrying footprints if you want to use a rack which does not risk overheating your amp.

Enough is enough. I solved my problem.

I customized a wooden & tolex compact head rack with a fan grill for the top which still actually looks cool. While I was at it, I used a rack with enough space to comfortably store the power and Speakon cables while still plugged into the unit. Just wrap around the internal hooks, slip on the cover and you are good to go.

Check out the pics!

DSC00333_zps4848d98b. DSC00331_zps7c0fd80d. DSC00165_zpse1c9e1bd.

Attached Files:

2. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    I started with a Tweed Tolex covered Birch Wood SV2 from Carvin. I ordered an 1001RB combo unit fan grill from GK*. I cut and routed the ventilation space to "sink" the grill down into the wood while peeling back the tolex to preserve an edge to tuck back under the fan grill. I sprayed the grill and screws with Dark Brown Espresso paint to match the dark lines in the tweed and finished with a texturizing clear coat spray. This is how it turned out.

DSC00163_zps6d96f0c9. DSC00162_zps2b35aaa0.

I then added an additional matching strap to the top of the case to make it easier to lift and place on the cabinets.

DSC00332_zps6034738d. DSC00334_zps238f35ac.

* Turns out this was the very last fan grill GK had in stock, will not order another as they discontinued the combos with top fans, will not provide any information regarding obtaining a grill as they consider it all proprietary. Bummer. Fab shops wanted $150 minimum per grill since I was not ordering a bunch of them. So, it turns out this tweed version is a one of a kind which can't be duplicated. This is why I shifted to the other fan grill designs and solutions as shown on the snake skin rack below.

Attached Files:

3. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    The Carvin SV2 only has bolt connections where the head handles are installed on the GK RBs. I like having the head handles to help move the head around - particularly once on top of the cabinets. So I installed some bolt anchors into the wood where the other rack installation bolt holes are on the head unit and bolted it into the rack using those connections. But first I sprayed the bolts, washers and anchor flat black, of course.

DSC00161_zps27fdb827.

Attached Files:

4. Really nice attention to detail!

5. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    I sprayed some heavy duty rope hooks, screws and washers flat black and installed them in the space behind the head unit. I placed them such that the power chord, one shorter and one longer speakon chord (for my 410 and 115 RBH Cabinets) nicely wrap and stay secure in the rear of the rack.

DSC00167_zps1c84b935. DSC00168_zpsc34ce8f5. DSC00169better_zpsbf7302fd. DSC00170_zps9d7c9a30.

Attached Files:

6. Very classy!

7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I am not a GK fan and not very much into tweed but I think you made a very neat and stylish package where the result is more than the sum of the parts. :)

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great looking box!

9. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    I then slip the custom made padded D2F cover and am good to go. I ordered the cover from Tom at D2F in Washington (Great guy, great product - I purchased my covers for the RBH Cabs through him and they are awesome - perfect fit, too). 48827882-e24d-42b5-b1f5-725b30cdee5b_zpsf11c4f67. DSCN0054_zpsdfaaa07a.

Attached Files:

10. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    That turned out really nice. I like it.
    So is your cab in tweed as well? Pics of the amp on your cab please. :D

11. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    I picked the tweed tolex because I love that look. Carvin also sells the SV2 in a Python Snakeskin, Country Western, Brown Marvelon, White Bronco, Red Jungle Bark, Navy Bronco, Emerald Green as well as regular Black Tolex skins.

12. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    No. The GK cabs are covered in a black carpet. If I wanted to match then the closest I would be able to get would be the regular black tolex.

13. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    Thanks for the post

14. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Great job, that turned out very well. :)

15. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    I ordered another SV2 from Carvin today with Python Snakeskin Tolex. I am going to do the same thing to that one (but keep the fan grill black). I think it will be a cool look with the black carpet covered GK RBH Cabs. I may mix and match/swap out the head depending on mood/gig or maybe I will sell one them so let me know if you want one.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Dude: those are -toooooootallllllly- freakin' cool. Totally.
    Way to go!

I have mine in an SBK 2 space rack, then non-roto-x version.
    Plenty of cooling space.
    Yours definately has more eye-mojo.

17. Beverage free zone!

18. Neuroman

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    Yup. No doubt! That is one thing GK RB head users learn real quick.

19. That is the coolest RB head I've seen! You are a true bassist. I'd love to see a guitar player attempt something like that, ha ha :)

Before you order a snakeskin one, do they come in metal-flake tuck n' roll, ala Kustom?

20. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    very nice work but it defeats the main reason i'd want my rb700 in a rack box witch is to prevent things from getting into the vent on top like the previously mentioned beverage, because it seems no mater how much I yell at those idiots every time I turn around theirs another beer on my amp.