Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally! A Fender That Even pd Can Love!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Jun 20, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Gaaaaahhhhhdamn! FINALLY

It has been almost 10 years since I started looking for a Fender bass that could meet my expectations and I have finally found one!

Yesterday, I posted pictures that Sweetwater was kind enough to take and email me. They were so impressed with the look of this bass I think it is going in their catalog or something. Anyhoo, got it this morning (simple, painless ordering and shipping, unlike MF, more on that in a minute) and I took it out, plugged it in, and despite very MINOR action adjustments, this bass is really perfection! No fret buzz, no little fit/finish issues, just really a perfect bass (although there is a little rattle/hum type noise when I lift my fingers off the strings but I suspect that is inherent in this pickup design, as the other Fender I returned had the same sound).

Started jamming to my material, and I have to adjust VERY LITTLE to this bass. I was able to do everything I need to do, and the bass is very easy to play and sounds F-ing unbelievable! Comparing it to the Bart pre-amps I have, I like how you can dial up the mids without adding tons of dB to your output signal, very nice. Bass and treble freq's are also nicely positioned.

I am extremely happy with my purchase, and will probably buy another one to compliment it.

Finally, I can say not ALL Fenders suck, and I can say with confidence that at least THIS one kicks major ass. This is truly a "Fender done right."

Now, regarding Musician's Friend...I called them to cancel the order, and guess what? I had to call BACK b/c the people answering the phones at 9:45 EST don't have authorization to cancel orders! Uggghhhhh! VERY hard to order and deal with. Once I got through their stupid authorization process which took 5 (FIVE) days, they promised overnight shipping yesterday, and STILL didn't get it out the door. I am going hiking from Fri to Sun and have to leave tonight, and won't be here for MF's convenience.

That was the straw that broke the camels back, and PLUS I only wanted to order from them in case this one from Sweetwaters turned out to be defective or whatever (actually I decided to order from sweetwaters when it looked like MF was taking way too long to get their act together, and the SW bass was going to be the "backup" but it ended up that the MF one was the backup b/c SW was able to get the bass out the door (along with performing a setup, and taking photos).

I probably called them (MF) 7 times to "manage" their stupid authorization process. There are more details on this story in the "miscellaneous" category here on talkbass.com

more pics:

http://www.peterduncan.net/Fender_Closeup.jpg
    http://www.peterduncan.net/Fender_Zon.jpg
    http://www.peterduncan.net/Fender_Full.jpg

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That's a beauty. Your Zons look nice too.

3. Now, you know I hate fenders, but that is one beutiful M/fing machine, if it plays and sounds as good as it looks I may get converted.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You have to many Zons...send me one. :D

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Why do you need six basses?

:D

Congrats. Feels like the end of an era.

Maybe;)

6. In related news, a gaggle of flying monkeys just emerged from my anus.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...I'm betting that wouldn't have hurt as much as it might seem, given that you saw this coming for a short time:D

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Nice bass PD! congrats!!!

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    OMG those Zons (and the Fender too) are too damn good looking!

please post more pictures or my head will inplode!

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very cool, pd. i dig the maple board and the blocks. very cool indeed.

but how did they get that graphite neck to look so much like real wood? that's amazing - fender is really more advanced than i thought they were. what will they think of next? :D

11. Congrats on the Fender PD, especially with all the problems with the action on the first.

Hope you enjoy her

stu

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Goregeous bass. I'm not big on the Zons though - not my style.

14. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    very pretty bass.

it looks strange strange sitting next to all of those zons. what made you decide to buy a fender, and not another zon? just curious.

15. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I have all the Zons I need to cover the various tones I need.

I wanted a Fender b/c I have ALWAYS wanted one, but never found one to my liking.

After about three hours of playing, I did notice some high frets around # 13-16, and I had to take the bass to a repair shop to get that fixed, where they did an "ok" job at that, but I had to spend some time leveling the frets in the upper register to not have buzz when I played with moderate touch. I finally got it though, so now I am happy :)

-pd

16. congratulations on a superb lookin bass...
    now where do you live again????

how much did that sucka cost you?

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    but, what about dead spots!!!

WHAT ABOUT DEAD SPOTS!!!!!

you know, i bet jz could whip you up a replacement neck tout de suite for that puppy.

:D