Finally... a Fretless... and a Carvin to boot!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Eagle, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Well, I have joined the fretless revolution... or I have bought one to play at home in the studio anyway!

I went for the 5 string even though I really like the feel of a 6 string. I figure I'll have enough to figure out without the C string to worry about...

[​IMG] :hyper:
  2. awesome. I hope you enjoy your new tool.
    Also, you could tine it to EADGC instead of BEADG
    I'm ganna tune my 5 string Fretless (when I get it)
    to EADGC.
    By the way. how much was that beautiful carvin?
  3. Believe it or not... $510 including the case... :hyper:
  4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    nice bass my man, i would love to try a carvin some time.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Definately a good option- I tune all my 5'ers (fretless and fretted) to EADGC. I like ahving my hi-C.

That is a nice piece of lumber- how's the tone?

6. I have never tried that tuning... I love my low B though. I may give it a try for giggles...

I don't know how it sounds I just won it on ebay tonight. I have two other Carvins and they sound awesome. Can't wait to hear how this wood affects the tone.

I just got off the Carvin site ordering the new active/passive electronics. The new electronics are much superior to those from the vintage of this bass. This looks about the same vintage as my older LB76 about a 1996 or so with the Sperzel tuners.
  7. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Nice axe, man. My LB75P took on a whole new life after I had it defretted, and it was great before that. Mine's a 2001 so it already has the newer generation preamp. FYI, mine's BEADG as well. I have a hard enough time without a high C - LOL!

Good luck and let us know how it sounds.
  8. You know I am all about value, and you juist can't beat Carvin Bass Guitars for value IMHO. I love my two 6 strings. I will probably hang with the BEADG tuning because the band I play in is R&B and I think the big bottom fits there.
    Thanks all I'll keep you informed on the evolution of the Carvin Fretless... and my learning curve... LOL :bassist:
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Congrats on the Carvin, now you can hang out on the Carvin
    BB. I have owned a LB76 & LB76F since 1994.I have never had any problems with them, they are great sounding and
    very reliable.I play the Fretless more than the Fretted. I just love the sound.That is a sweet Bass your getting, nice case also. :bassist:
  10. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    I have Carvin fretted five(LB70}.Carvin makes top of the line equipment ,My amp is Carvin as well and its as good or better than my SWR.Anyway enjoy....Peace
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My fretless LB76 has been getting a lot of attention the last couple weeks. That poor bass has been to hell and back over the last 10 years but it keeps on tickin'.
  12. The only problem I have ever had (other than my issues getting my LB76W set up properly... and that was my issue) was the battery contacts. I have had times in the middle of a gig when it would go silent... then a smack to the body and it would work again. I wonder if they had enough problems that Carvin changed that battery holder. The new ones are a very different design...

But you are right... the basses are solid and exceedingly playable with incredible tone. I wouldn't trade mine for anyone elses... :D
  13. That's a great price for a quality neckthrough bass. Pretty too.
  14. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Oops, yeah, the only problem I ever had with it was when the preamp died on me. It was one of the older ones (bass is a '94) though, with just the volume/pan/bass/treble contols. I haven't put a new one in yet, it's just wired passive (volume/volume/tone + dummy pot/knob to hide the 4th hole) right now.

Carvin makes great instruments in my opinion. I'm thinking of getting a new fretted LB76. Well, at least this week. My GAS yearnings are fickle and change with the wind.
  15. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    The problem may be the Battery itself, I have noticed that
    some Duracell 9-volt bats are a little shorter in height than
    a Energizer.This problem came up in one of my ABG's after
    I changed the battery there was a weird vibration when I
    played certain notes, and I traced the noise the the Battery,
    it was a hair shorter and did not fit snug. I also notice the Duracell Pro series are fatter and the Battery door on my Nady wireless would not stay closed.

16. INteresting... I think I have been using Duracell.
    What batteries do you use? I have kept telling myself I was going to change to Lithium batteries, and just never done it mostly because I haven't been near a music store to buy them.
  17. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I only use Energizer's now. I had a couple of Duracell's dead
    right out of the package. Now I check each Battery with a
    volt meter before I install it.I get a average reading of 9.62
    with the Energizers.And I do not have any fit problems with
    them. :cool:
  18. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    FWIW, I also found Energizers to fit better in those battery compartments.

Great looking bass btw, and a steal at that price.