1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally, a Jazz! Sort of. Now what?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rustynuts, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Been looking to pick up a Jazz for awhile, either a complete one or a build, but nothing I saw really "did it" for me. Until last night, anyway.

Found this Sage Green MIM body and bought it. Where it goes from here is still up in the air, so any suggestions will be considered. It's pretty much a blank canvas right now.

Routed for a pre-amp, but I don't necessarily want another active bass. I'm thinking a blocked neck, probably a rosewood '75 RI but maybe a Geddy maple? Not sure. Probably go with a 4 knob control plate, V/V/B/T? Or maybe Vol/Vol/Tone/Tone?

If it was yours, what would you do with it?

jadefront.
    jadeback.

Only thing I know for sure is that when it's done, this puppy will be wearing flats!

:)

2. I love your idea about the blocked rosewwod board! That would definitely be my choice as well. I'm not familiar with 4-knob Fender passive controls, but the V/V/T/T sounds interesting... What color pickguard are you thinking about? Parchment, White or Mint Green all sound like good options to me (even though mint green doesn't sound very good with that color, I think it would be fabulous!

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Precision pickup (Jason Lollar would be my pickup of choice) in the mid position with a parchment or mint guard.

Fender "B" size neck with vintage size frets. MOP blocks on an unbound ebony board. Matching headstock.

60/61 Jazz bass style control plate with just a volume and tone knob. Flat top, nickle or chrome plated brass knobs.

I'd like to try the Hipshot Vintage style bridge, so I'd throw one of those on it.

"Dummy" pickup cover in the bridge position with no actuall pickup in there. Never needed a bridge pickup yet. Can't see putting one in there now. Waste of money (required IMO) . ;)

Strap locks.

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The color is “Sage Green Metallic” — my favorite of the discontinued MIM finishes. Personally, I’d go with the maple fretboard/black blocks on the neck, and a black/white/black guard. V/V/T/T sounds like a great choice for the controls.

5. Damn, I knew that. I don't know why I called it Jade Green. Fixed, thanks.

Re: Pickguard color, I've got several different colored P Bass PGs here (black, black pearl, parchment, white pearl, white, tort) and then several more colors at the local shop. I was going to wait until I have the neck and then decide what looks best with the body/neck combined.

savit260, I've got six P basses now so I'm looking to check out what the world of the Jazz bass has to offer. If I wind up not liking the tone but liking the feel, a quick route and a new PG will have a P p'up in there front and center. The matching headstock might be a bit difficult though since the paint on this body is 12 years old.

Single pickup, single V/T knobs? That's a consideration. For the bridge I was thinking either Hipshot or Gotoh. I've got a 201 on another MIM and so far I'm liking it a lot.

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    ... but the question was what would I do with it... not what should you do with it. ;) :D:D

What you should do with it is an entirely different question. ;):bassist:

...as for bridges, I'm not a fan of High Mass bridges in general, so I'd go with the Hipshot Vintage style, or save a few bucks and use a Wilkinson Vintage stye bridge. I'm rather fond of the Wilkinson , and you can get them for dirt cheap.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Rosewood w/ Pearloid Block and binding (Allparts?... Warmoth is noce but can be heavy)
    Tort Pickguard
    62 RI 3 hole control plate w/Vol/Vol/Tone (for passive)
    Nordstrand NJ4 70's wind
    BadAss V or Hipshot Vintage Style bridge
    Straplocks

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    As for the Geddy Neck, I did something similar to a Blue Agave MIM J body I bought a while back. I'm thinking of pulling the Ultra Jazz out of this and replace them with the NJ4 70's wind.

HPIM6767.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Get a custom neck with matching inlays? If not, I say Geddy neck, tort guard, gold hardware.

10. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

Fender '75 re-issue Jazz neck, RW with white pearloid blocks with Hipshot Ultra Light tuners; parchment pickguard; DiMarzio Model J's; Wilkinson vintage style bridge; 250k CTS V/V/T pots w/ .047 Sprague Orange Drop cap. With those pickups being 4-conductor, you could wire it series/parallel with a toggle switch and see if that works for you. I always liked that color. )-(

11. stealyourface

stealyourface

Jul 31, 2007
    Towson, MD
    maple neck with white blocks. white or pearloid pickguard.

12. Ah, you got me there! :p

I've got a Wilkinson I took off of an old P I redid a couple of months back. What is it about nigh mass bridges you don't like? I prefer them myself, though to be honest I think it's likely about a 90% visual preference.

Nino, I have to confess, I was lusting after that bass from the first time I saw it posted. That is gorgeous.

I know of the NJ4 and the NJ4 SVs, are the '70s wind something new?

Right now, I think that's my preference too, I'm a rosewood kinda guy. But the maple/black block looks good too. It may come down to what I can find available. Right now I see several Geddy necks but no rosewood '75s. I prefer to go with a Fender product but if push comes to shove I'll go with an aftermarket brand.

Straplocks are a given. That's the first, and sometimes only thing I change on a bass when it comes in the door.

I've found two of these today. I hadn't really thought about them for this body but might fo a PS mock up.

I'm rather visual in what I like. Some people don't care what a bass looks like as long as it sounds and feels good but I like mine to look good too if possible. I was thinking about gold hardware, maybe black, or boring old chrome. I'll figure that out once the rest of the pieces start being assembled.

One thing though, since this body has the routed hole for the side mounted jack, I'll put the jack ferrule there and then have four knobs on top if I have two p'ups. Maybe one of them could be a series parallel switch? That might be interesting. V/V/T/SP?

13. That bass is just crying out for a Tort pickguard. I also think it would look great with a blocked neck, rosewood OR maple. Or you could do the maple with pearl blocks and pearl pickguard.

14. The nice thing about the Jazz, unlike my Ps, is that I can swap out the PG on a whim. I have the feeling I may end up with a couple different ones for this bass. The color lends itself to several different options.

15. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Not a tort guy myself but I coulndt WAIT to see how long it took for someone to make that very suggestion!!

I really the look of the Agave Blue that Nino did with the black blocks and black PG-that would work for me on your Sage Metallic Green body.

Have fun with it! :bassist:

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Woodier more natural tone with the Vintage style bridge IMO.

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The 70's wind are available on the NJ4 single coils and brighter and more aggressive than the standard NJ4's.

18. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Pity about the cnc hole... why they do that? It make me mad.

19. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I'd put a undotted/blocked, ebony boarded, p bass neck on, some nice pickups, Joe Barden probably, as for a bridge, a regular Hipshot, or a Kahler or Hipshot trem, and I'd wire it vol - tone, vol - tone, with a push/pull pot on the neck vol for series parallel switching.

20. Thanks Nino.

I don't mind the CNC guide hole nearly as much as I do that massive canyon from the bridge p'up to the input jack.

I like that idea.