1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally, a Jazz! Sort of. Now what?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rustynuts, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Looks like you've got bodies piling up there!

In this context, that's not necessarily a bad thing... :D

2. I do, don't I? The burgundy one is a MIJ Jazz special (P body with P/J pups and Jazz neck) that I have a maple neck for. It's going to be stripped and refinished and likely have a P neck added. The black one is a jazz body for a black'n'maple project.

I found that pickguard months ago used at the local shop and had no use for it. I saw this body and knew I'd found it a home. The only other color I like the black pearloid with is my Inca Silver MIA. Other than that I don't find much I like it with.

3. Insert **** eating grin here....

The neck came in today. This thing is SWEET! It is brand new, just like he said. The neck mounting screws haven't even been drilled yet. The only things I'm not crazy about are the bogus Fender decal and the finish on the back of the neck. Not sure if I want to sand through the finish he applied over the decal or not.

Not sure why the head looks like it's two different colors, it must be a reflection of the overhead light or something. The neck has no imperfections at all on it.

Big picture warning. I'm liking the way it's starting to come together now. :D

sage-neck.gif

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Very sweet!

Give us a full shot, Im dying here.

5. How did you apply the copper foil to the bridge pickup cavity so neatly? I always get frustrated trying to do it, so I give up and use the paint, but I like the foil better.

6. I didn't do the cavity on this one, but I have done a few others. I use 3/4" foil tape from StewMac and cut it into 1.5 to 2" lengths. It's really easy to form that way and you just overlap the edges a little bit. Looks like the previous owner of this body did it the same way, or had someone do it.

As far as a full length shot, that's going to be it for right now. The only thing that's attached to the body is the bridge so I can't stand it up. I suppose I coule lay it down flat on the floor later and snap a pic of it.