Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally, a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XavierG, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Well, after many months of looking, I've finally decided on one of two basses I intend to buy as replacement for the ones that I lost to burglars. This is it:

[​IMG]

by Vadim (specs to follow).

Now, my quest continues for a fretless.

X

2. :eek: that's a nice bass, how much dose one like that cost?

3. that's surely a fine piece of (b)ass !
    I'm not a great fan of coloured pickups myself, tho..

go for it XavierG ! :)

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Very, very, nice.

Congrats!

Is that even a wooden cover for where the electronics are?

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Xavier, that is one nice bass. :eek:

I like the "wooden" pickups - is it a cover, or actually painted on?

How much $?

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Great looking bass Xavier.
    For a fretless why not a hollow Kinal?
    THey look great!

7. Great looking bass ! ! I bet it would make a great fretless model too... just looking at the design. Post the specs when you can !

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    those are niiiiiiiiiiice. Now again, HOW MUCH?! :D

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, Xavier!

If that plays and sounds as sweet as it looks, it should be a keeper.:)

10. Thanks guys. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I was distracted by todays events. Anyhow, as to cost, it is not cheap. I don't have a final figure yet because I am waiting for Vadim to email me with some information I requested. Also, I haven't decided on the hardware yet. Suffice it to say, it is in the over-$2500 range, but well worth every penny. I'll post more when I hear back from the luthier.

11. Well, some of you wanted to know, and I finally sorted through materials and specs for my new bass. Here they are:

5 String Fretted Bass

Construction: Neck Through
    Scale: 890 mm (approx. 35")
    Neck: 3 pieces wenge, 2 pieces african padauk, 4 pieces 1 mm maple
    Body: 3 pieces top quilted maple, african padauk, back cherry
    Nut - bone
    24 frets
    Gold hardware
    Bridge "hipshot type a"
    Finish: top high gloss, back - satin, both polyurethane
    Head stock: covered (quilt maple)
    Electronics: 2 soap bar active pick ups in matching top wood covers
    3 band EQ (vol, treble, mid, bass, blend)
    Flip-flop battery compartment
    Matching wood cover (cherry) for electronics.
    String spacing at bridge - 19 mm fret wire - bass narrow small
    recessed knobs
    Fingerboard R-22"-23"
    King wood, comitillo (Honduras rosewood family), extremely hard
    "bass clef" mark on 12 fret (mother of pearl)
    Side dots (mother of 2 mm pearl)
    Logo on the headstock (mother of pearl)

note - electronics (including pups) are custom
    Cost: $3,500 CANADIAN

(Side note)
    I don't know if you folks south-of-the-(Canadian)-border get "Open Mike" with Mike Bullard on TV, but this is one of the main basses that Orin Isaacs (the bands bassist/leader) uses.

12. *** checks remaining VISA-budget ***

g'damn :(

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Congrats, Xavier, what kind of preamp are you getting in it?

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Kinda Funky looking IMHO, but It looks high quality. Go for it. I like the Wooden pup covers. Those really add to th overall continuity of it.

15. Thanks, CE. I'm really excited about it. Only problem is, it's going to take 3-4 months to build.

As to the preamp, that's still up in the air. The luthier is sending me some info on the preamp that he uses. It's custom made for his basses, and it's the same one Orin Isaacs (who has a killer tone on the 'Open Mike' show) uses.

Brendan, the picture doesn't really do it justice. It's a really well made bass (as are all Vadim basses). I was first attracted to it by it's looks (including those wooden pup covers), and then I heard what it sounded like, and I pretty much decided that this was it.

AllodoX- get a credit increase. :)

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Xavier, was it your house that was burgularized? Mine was today. It was strange. It looked like idiot teenagers. I had $$$ laying on my desk, and much more in my desk, which they didn't take, and they steal my coins in my coin jar (there was at lease $30 in there, mainly pennies), 2 boxes of altoids, $.33 Canadian, and my weird al cds. They stole all of my bro's metal cd's, but it was a pain for them because all of his cd's are in the wrong cases. No basses or any instruments stolen in the whole house. The police have one good fingerprint from my coin jar, and i'm sure it isn't mine, because i haven't touched my coin jar since the begining of summer. They stole 5 vhs's which some were chick flicks. Well, they stole my playstation games which i haven't played in over 3 years.

BTW, they broke into my safe with an object for the $.33 canadian. They broke upon my bro's, too, to find 2 mariner ticket stubs.

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No problem. :)
    The sacrafices we make to get new equipment... heh heh

After I got my Sterling, I pretty much ate Ramen for a week, it was worth it, though.

I really like SD preamps, if you don't get a custom (preamp), look in to SD. :)

18. If anyone stole any of my CD's they would DIE. I've gone through too much saving, scrimping and starving myself to get them, I ain't gonna lose em to some punk who won't appreciate the taste and thought I put into them.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :eek: WOW :eek: That's one nice bass!!!!! Congrats. The only downer is the wait!!!! :( I once waited 9 months for a USA Spector & I will only buy basses that are in stock. :D

20. Great looking bass Mr.X!!

You are going to be one happy camper when that bad boy is done!!!:D

uh....You know you have something on your chin,dude?:p ;)