Finally! A new car! :D

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I finally decided that it was time to get a new car....

All my life I´ve never had a good car so to speak.

In 1992 I got a five year old Skoda 120L, a junk car which only lasted about 2 years.

Bought a 1991 Toyota Corolla in 1997. It was a good car and served me well until it had a meltdown in january 2003.

In february 2003 I bought a 1998 Nissan Micra.
    Here's a piccie:

It´s a small car, gets me around, and has a low fuel consumption. But, it´s a small car, it´s just like sitting in a tin can, not very exciting.

Anyway, I´ve been longing for a better car now and yesterday I finally took the plunge....

I bought a 2005 model Skoda Octavia (Ambiente model). It´s only three months old, it´s been driven 5000km (3100 miles) and it's of course in excellent condition.
    It has got a 1.6l engine, 1600cc and it´s 102 horsepower.
    It has got an automatic transmission (Thank God!!), electricity in all windows and side mirrors and an information display which tells me about the fuel consumption per 100km etc. Fun stuff!

I got a great deal on the car, I got a 28% discount off the car compared to what it costs brand new, and it´s only three months old! Sweet! :)

Anyway, here are two obligatory pics:

P.s. I LOVE driving automatics!! It´s my first one! :hyper:
  2. The front right wheels camber doesn't look very good.

But then again, I don't know anything about lesser known european cars. Still looks better than that red one.
  3. That's great man. :p

It's funny to see that only in Fat Lazy North America, are automatic transmissions more popular. Most people I know don't even know how to drive a stick, which I think is ridiculous. I think it should be mandatory knowledge for a license but i digress.

The first time I heard of this Skoda was while watching an international hockey game and they had a car right at the corner of the rink. Crazy advertising at those European hockey games BTW. Who owns them or are they an "independant"?
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    It just looks like that because it's pretty sharply turned, it´s supposed to look like this.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Skoda were bought by Volkswagen, the Skoda is basically a Volkswagen. I read that 51% of the chassis etc. in the Skoda is the same as in Volkswagens...

B.t.w. the Skodas are made in Czech.
  6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

looks' like BMW ... i like it !
    congrats' on the new ride , be safe ...
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Looks nice, congrats!

brad cook
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Do they have an Iceland version of Pimp My Ride? If so, you need to let them get a hold of it and install a few Cisco routers in the trunk. :D

Congrats on the new ride. It looks nice. Reminds me of a Jetta.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hehe :) Thanks!

That's a must, and maybe some IPS's and VPN boxes as well :)
  10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Nice wheels, Ívar!

I've been partial to VWs myself for a long time.
  11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yup, the new Skodas are quality cars, not what they used to be :D
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I agree with this. And, I'm pretty sure it's the first time I'v eever agreed with a Canadian! :eek: First time for everything, right? :D
    IMO, automatics suck :p.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I received a company truck on the first day at my new job. The first thing my boss asked me was "Do you know how to drive a stick?". I thought he was kidding. I am 34 years old, of course I know. He told me that a couple recent new guys did not. I was amazed that there are people who can not drive a stick.

As for me, it had been awhile. I hopped in the truck, and it took me a few minutes to find the optimum shift RPM's, but I never stalled it or put my head through the windshield.

14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Btw if you acctually look at that car right there... very much looks like newer VW... the back of it anyway...

Congrads on your ride...

Know if they broke it in right btw?
  15. Congrats ! My sisters boyfriend used to have a Skoda Octavia , he sold it a few weeks ago to get a ''real'' Volkswagen :meh: It's a nice car , i'm sure you will enjoy driving aroundwith this car..way better than the Nissan :D
    However i don't understand what you like about automatics...
  16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks guys!

I agree!

If I recall correctly, to get a drivers license in Iceland you can only learn to drive stick shifted cars. You simply cannot learn on an automatic.

Oh yeah! Tell me about it! Driving a Skoda was something that made you feel ashamed in the past, now it´s a completely different story :)
    Even so, I know of an elder couple who bought Skoda Octavia, and according to them, they don't own a Skoda, oh no! They own an Octavia. Skoda is a forbidden word! :D

And yes, it sure looks like a new VW.
    Don´t know if they broke it in right, I sure hope so.. But from what I´ve experienced with the car right now, it runs very smoothly and seems to be in excellent condition.

Well, frankly I´ve been driving a stick since 1992. The distances that we drive here where I live aren't that great. I have to drive around 11km (7miles) to get to work and that distance is covered with stoplights etc.

I'm just sick and tired of constantly shifting gears. The lazy gene in me decided that it had had enough and it demanded an automatic. :)
    There are lots of stoplights in Reykjavik and I´m just bored to death with´s just so much easier with an automatic!

It's a huge difference to come from a Nissan Micra to this car. Very little road noise, nothing is creaking or seems to be loose in the interior. It's just a solid car!
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its funny, the difference between american cars and, european etc cars. A 1.6L engine in a car that size/quality is pretty neat. My mom drives a fuel efficient civic, has a 1.6L and gets 35 mpg. I drive a Camry with a 3.0 L V6 and i get 20 mpg, heh, not so efficient eh?

Here, you often see sedans with 3+ liter engines, in europe, the cars are quite different.
  18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

European cars do not have these huge engines. Gas is and always has been much more expensive in Europe then in the US. Although the price of gas has been going up overthere also.

I went to Las Vegas in june and damn.... I´ve been to quite a number of European countries and the carfleet there looks tiny when compared to the US. The cars there are huge! Big SUV's, big pickups, big everything. I wouldn't want to get in a car crash there driving my old Nissan Micra, the car would be pulverized!

The price per gallon of gas here in Iceland is just over $8 right now.
    It cost me just over 93$ to fill up my car the other day.
    The gas tank holds 55 liters/12.5 gallons.
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Whoa! I am going to quit whining about the $2.60 per gallon I am paying around here.

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Hey let's throw some anti-American gibberish into a car thread.

I'm glad the people from Canada that I've had dealings with aren't of the same mindset as you.