Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally a new rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

Wow, finally after seven years of using my Yorkville amp, I bought another rig. The Yorkville is rated 400W at 4 Ohms and has a one 15" Celestion speaker.
    Here´s a pic of my Yorkville
    [​IMG]

What I bought today is this:
    Head: Trace Elliot RAH350SMX. A 350W head, 12band EQ, Low and High compressor and lot´s of other stuff.
    Cabinet nr.1: Trace Elliot 1048H. 320 Watt RMS, 4x10" with HF horn. Impedance 8 ohms. Frequency response is 45Hz-7kHz.
    Cabinet nr.2: Trace Elliot 1518. 300 Watt RMS 1x15". Impedance 8 Ohms. Frequency response is 32Hz-6kHz.

I don´t have a pic of it right now, but I will probably have a pic next week. But I copied some pics of
    Trace Elliot´s website and used my l33t photoshop skills to puzzle this pic together. (Dave Castelo eat your Photoshop heart out ;) ).

My rig is pretty similar to this, minus the red stripes and there is no carpet on the head, I got it in a flightcase.

[​IMG]

The sound from this rig is HUGE!.
    Even only with the volume at 3 (10 o'clock) my practice facility was literally shaking and rattling. Now I finally now what to "move air" means. This rig is one mean air moving mother!

The sound is also superior to my Yorkville, which I will now be selling.

I saw it advertized at a local website here in Iceland and the price was so low that I just could not pass this up. I bought this for 1000$. Which is not much for this stuff here in Iceland. The owner bought it new in 1995 or 1996 for about 2300$.
    The owner originally asked for about 1400$ for the rig, but he got no responses so he lowered the price and I gladly bought the rig for a thousand bucks :)

I will post pics of my actual rig next week, I´m off now to wonderland enjoying my new rig ;)

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Holy crap, that's one heckuva upgrade. Congrats, and nice photoship job! :)

3. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    Ha! thats just the rig I am getting rid of. the yorkville that is...:D
    You have quite the monster rig there!
    I am going in the 'if I cant carry my whole set up it aint worth having' route. :oops:

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That´s a very good policy!
    I had to carry the rig up a flight of stairs to my practice facility. The amp is about 35lbs/16Kg, 4x10" is 92.6lbs/42Kg and the 1x15" is 82.5lbs/37.4Kg.

In total that is 210lbs/95.4Kg.

I was sweating buckets after that one...

Even though it´s a pain to transport, the sound makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks for the nice comments ya´ll ;)

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Oh by the way... Since this is my first big rig, I was wondering if it´s a good idea to put a some sort of a box under the whole rig. I was thinking that because there are no wheels beneath the 1x15" that the sound transfer and the vibration to the floor would be a bit too much since the whole rig is sitting flat on the floor.

The amp I got is the rack mounted version, and it came with a very sturdy wooden flightcase with an iron frame. I was wondering if it is better to put the whole rig on top of the flightcase. I saw markings on the case indicating that it has been done.

Bleh, this is getting way to long....
    Long story short: Is it good to put a case under a big rig? Yay, Nay and why?

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    170 lbs.... on top? hmm... I don't know man, that's a lot of weight. I guess it would depend on how difficult the acoustics of the room were. Not all rooms/stages require the cabs to come up off of the floor. A milk crate might be better solution than 170 lbs of vibrating weight on top of your amp, though.

I have done similiar set up w/ a tilting amp stand and one cabinet many times:

Heavy duty rack case on the bottom.
    Tilting amp stand on that.
    2x10 angled at me w/ a line out to the house.

I've even done it w/ a 4x10 but that was at the amp stand's max capacity and it was a little scary.

A disadvantage to the described setup is that the amplifier fan becomes a low power vaccuum cleaner for the stage.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Oops, sorry I didn´t make myself clear in my previous message :oops:
    I will use the empty flightcase under the rig, and the amp itself will be on top of the rig case-less.

Edit: Spelling mistakes. Why the hell do I always write rig = righ ???

8. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    What this tiny head doing on the top. Just kidding!:)
    I intended to add some 15" on my 4x10" 300W Trace combo but I've never done it. I guess it's a good idea.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Bleh ;)

Just wait until I get an actual pic of my rig :)

10. Insert open-mouthed smiley here.

Sweet rig, man. Where are the actual pics?

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Our singer will bring his digicam to next practice which is on Monday, then I´ll have pics :D

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
  13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland