Finally, a Parker bass?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 9, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was up at my local GC today, and (as usual) was admiring the wall of Parker Fly guitars. One of the salesdudes was very insistent about Parker releasing a bass this year - he said he had seen the announcement, which was done at the same time the new P-40 model was announced.

I see nothing on the Parker site, so I sent an email just now. Has anyone else heard this one? I'm afraid to get my hopes up...
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The talk has been going on for several years but that's all the further I've ever seen it go.

If it ever materialized, we would have to chose between the Fly bass and the Flea bass, I guess.
  3. Looks like we got a comedian in here! ;)
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Yeah, he's a real kidder. :D

Edit: I'm a moron and can't spell.
  5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    How much were they going for?
  6. Steve Swallow's bass is a parker bass. It was Parkers first instrument.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I talked to Kenny? Parker at the Nashville NAMM show this summer, and I asked about it. He said that everytime he plans to release it, something always comes up and pushes it back. He said that he'll unveil it at this upcoming winter show in Los Angeles.
  8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Aha! Partial confirmation!

BG, the prices range from $600 for a P-38 to $2500 for a top-end original neck-through. I was particularly smitten by a used Fly Deluxe for $1800.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anyone know what the deal is here? There's been an obvious demand for a Parker bass model for years yet he won't build them. What gives?

Anyway, I don't really get the attraction (not that there's anything wrong with it). Expertise at building guitars doesn't neccesarily carry over to building basses. See: PRS

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Parker got into a distribution deal with Korg and they pushed the guitars, especially the idea of lower cost versions vs. an expensive bass model.

As I understand it, the deal with Korg is now over.
  11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mail call! And I quote:

My sister's up for sale - any takers?
  12. Well researched!!

Funnily enough I was trying to find something on the net re Parker Basses yesterday and of course found zilch.

I was checking out all the basses that had been recommended as light basses in the thread I'd posted. The singer in our band likes the lightness of his Parker Fly.

As a matter of interest,was there something wrong with the design of PRS basses, or was it just a marketing/sales problem? I rather like the look of them and their guitars are very well regarded. They have relaunched a bass haven't they?
  13. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Will they be only making high-end models, or will they be making some mid-range basses as well?
  14. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The PRS bass was and still is well over priced. I like them, just not the price tag on 'em.
  15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

From what I gather, the older PRS basses were quite nice, but their newer basses aren't very good.

I could be wrong... I just recall hearing that mentioned a while ago in a thread I had started, my first thread, actually... titled: "Legend for low end"... You could search it, if no one else comments by the time you read this. :)
  16. The problem with the PRS bass is that it's breathtakingly overpriced for what you get--a passive J-style bass with pretty woods. In its review, Bass Player also mentioned that the workmanship was somewhat lacking in the electronics department, which is unforgivable in a $2000+ list instrument.

Had the PRS bass listed for $800 less, it would have been the Greatest Thing Ever.

FWIW, I'm not holding my breath for the Fly Bass.
  17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    One of my guitarist friends has a Parker Fly (I'm not sure of the model but it's one of the expensive ones). The thing sounds real good and is very versatile. A Parker bass would be interesting because of the way Parker uses carbon fiber to build their guitars. I bet the bass would be as heavy as a feather and be really comfortable to wear.

I'm the only TBer with a PRS, so I'm left to defend it by my lonesome. Oh well...

Got mine for $1450 + an extra set of strings. Retail is around $2000...

Granted, the electronics were weren't quite what they should've been, but I took it to a setup guru and it now sounds better then great. It'll outplay a jazz anyday... like PRS's guitars its best used for rock, and can cut through thanks to its great midrange sound.

Actually, I've heard the opposite. However, I can only go by what people have said as I haven't gotten the chance to play one by myself.

Anyways, you guys should try them out. The only complaint I've heard about them is the price tag.

p.s. the only other guy that I know who has one is the bass player from Fuel. I called Guitar Center when I was considering buying to compare prices, and the guy didn't believe that PRS made basses.

me: "Hi, do you guys carry PRS guitars?"
    sales guy: "Sure do."
    me: "Okay, how much are the PRS basses going for?"
    sg: "PRS doesn't make basses."
    me: "Yeah, I was just playing one 15 min. ago."
    sg: "Are you sure it was a PRS?"
    me: "Yeah..."
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My comments about PRS basses weren’t meant as a slap. I know Paul and don't have any bad feelings towards him or his basses:)

His original basses just were not what many bassists were looking for... unless there was some overwhelming demand for a Les Paul Jr bass. Sonically it was on the thick side (that might explain their supposed popularity with Dub players). The rotary tone selector switch might have been a great idea on guitars but most bassists that I know would rather have toggles or push-pull pots... much easier to "see" than a speed knob. Playability was okay but hardly earth shattering. Now add a PRS-type price on it and you hardly have a recipe for success. Put an obligatory 10 top on it, pushing the price up even higher while maintaining the so-so sound and watch people line up to get them;)

I've played the new PRS basses and they are much nicer than the old ones. It seems very easy to double the price, with options, which to me makes no sense... how can you justify $2k worth of options on a $2K bass?

It's a decent bass, nothing remarkable and personally when I think of a $1500 bass I think used. Used Lakland, Zon, Fender, Elrick, etc. and I don't think this is even in the running.

The older ones became collectable because of their rarity, because they weren't built for long, because no one was buying them. I don't see the new ones jumping off the shelf either and from what I saw at the GC that had them, they aren't being pushed very hard.
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Parker and PRS kinda missed the boat IMO, they neglected basses too long, and others got ahead of them.

I'd pick a custom Basslab, Le Fay or Marleaux over Parker or PRS anytime.