1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally, a professionally recorded EP...opinions?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Hey guys! My band finally got into the studio to record our EP last month and we're really happy with it, give the song on our myspace a listen and tell me what you think!

www.myspace.com/sentiencelive

Thats me on heavy/roaring vocals by the way (and on bass obviously)

Would love to hear what you guys think about it!

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Sounds great, very Opeth like. I like the the use harmonized vocals in it. You guys sing & growl in key which is nice!

Nice tight playing, mix seems good.

My feeling is you sound like a lot of other metal growling sing bands which is becoming cliche' or required now?

I what I like in the song was the actaul harmonized vocals. Maybe more singing other than in the mellow parts (Opeth like). The singer has a good & unique voice. I would love to see you do more with that.

I can't really say anything bad about you guys other than the above.

One of my favorite bands now is Girugamesh. They use the screaming/growling vocals as a foil to the singing, the singer, who actaully sings and has a nice vocal range.

Just my opinion.

3. Thanks for the awesome feedback brother! I love feedback like that, really helps steer us in the right direction!

Thanks again!

4. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    WOW. I love the mix and the growling is great. I'm very impressed.

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I agree, but I think they have a uniqueness they are not bringing out fully. They have the talent.

They need to find their own voice, to stand out. I think they have the tools it's just tweeking, balancing & keying in on "their own" sound.

If I were you guys I would take really work on the harmonized vocal parts and really get that part out to its fullest. That was the part that sounded unique to me. Growling is growling, nothing wrong with it, just how you use it. Same with Rapping, its all how you exicute it (I disslike Rap, not for me)

6. where abouts are you guys from? in melbourne? ya may be pretty close to me.

sounds pretty good and i'm liking the growls man.
    to me the mix is a little woofy, that would be moderated a smidgen, but thats just me.
    also many kudos on playing and growling at once.

7. Hey anthowl, we're in the eastern suburbs based around the Croydon area. We're playing at the Arthouse next thursday night and the HIFI bar on the 16th of may, PM if you're interested in coming along and I'll give you some more details!

And thanks for the posetive responses guys, I do pride myself on my growls and we are working on harmonies for the clean parts, many of our other songs have harmonies in them, this song is just the first track we have released from the EP!

Keep the advice coming guys, I eat this stuff up I really do!

8. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I really like it. Sometimes you don't have to be ground breaking as long as what you're doing is done well.

My only suggestion is to use acoustic guitars for some of the clean parts. It really sets the feel more than electrics played clean. But that is minor.

How do I get the ep?

9. We haven't yet put it up on Itunes but I will send you a PM when it all goes up! Either that or we can work out some sort of mailing/ebay arrangement!

10. jasonmasters

jasonmasters

Dec 18, 2008
    Oregon
    mix is pretty damn good. you can really get some good LOW vocals. kudos

11. b4nny

b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Although I don't fancy death metal in any shape or form, I enjoyed listening to this. Your clean vocals instantly made me think of Maynard from Tool (even though I'm not a Tool fan at all). I might dare to say that mix is a little too bass-heavy. :bag:

12. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    I really like the music, but I don't really dig the growling/roaring stuff. Granted, you did a great job on them, just not my bag. Nicely written, BTW. Which one of you sings the clean stuff?

13. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    you guys didn't sound perfectly in time with each other. f'nar, you seemed to be dragging in the slow parts, and the guitarist was out of tune.

needs a little work, but the end result should be good.

also, you need to take some treble off of the drum and guitar tracks. It doesn't sound clean enough right now.

14. Our Guitarist Jamie sings the clean stuff, as for the being out of tune I don't hear it and the guitarists tuned before each take, I think it might just be the obscure chords we use a lot of the time maybe? I'm not sure.

Thanks for the advice and kudos guys!

15. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    naw, on the clean guitar parts, the one doing the chords was definitely out of tune.

16. I see, I hadn't noticed that! Bummer.

Ah well, anyone else have any comments or advice or, better yet, constructive criticism?