1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally, a proper digital piano

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 9, 2008.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm very excited as I just took delivery of my Casio PX-310, which as a fully-weighted 88-key digital piano. I've been mucking about with a Yamaha DJ-X for a long time, but I've recently decided to make a more serious run at making keys an instrument that I am able to gig on.

I had been shopping around for a digital piano for a while, and I had heard that the PX-310 was a very good deal for the price. They were about $550 when they were new. They recently discontinued in favor for a newer model and you could find them for $399 all over the place. I managed to catch a scratch and dent on Musician's Friend (FANTASTIC customer service, btw) for $299!

I'm very excited. It's a lot of fun to play on a "proper" keyboard. It's got some great piano tones, good action, and MIDI in/out/through so I can use it for other modules down the road as a controller. I'm really happy with how it is right now. It has about 40 tones in addition to the general MIDI 128, and all of them sound great. The Fender Rhodes sounds really good - definitely passable unless you really knew your keyboards. The "rock organ" is a little lame, but I still have some tweaking to do. The various grand pianos and organs are really good, though.

PICT1032.

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    The piano player in my summer jazz trio picked one of these up last spring.

He was very pleased with it. Especially the lightweight portability.

By the end of the gig in October he was back to bitchin' about how only a real piano can sound like a piano.
    He's in his 70s. I asked who are you gonna get to roadie a real piano? Not me! I'm done with that crap!
    He occasionally would hit the wrong button and all of a sudden we'd have a choir or harps! Or he'd start up a rhythm beat!! Twas fun!

To my ear it was damn accurate piano sound. Great price.