Finally a Proud Papa

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by telarcfatigue, Apr 15, 2002.

1. telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    I had to shout about it.After being a Jazz drummer for years, I Finally got my first URB Saturday, after saving my $ for going on 3 months now, I picked up my 1951 German Plywood 3/4 from a shop here in town.The owner was kind enough to lay it away for me--After playing 5 or 6 Kays, Engelhardts, King, etc, etc.This is the best sounding/playing Plywood bass I've ever played. Don't know why, but she's got that Mojo on her. She came with Spiro Solo strings, which I like pretty well. Ebony board, Rosewood Tailpiece.She ain't too much to look at, Dark Brown German stain, but boy is she warm--I kept playing 10 to 20k basses in this shop (about 25 or more); kept coming back day after day expecting to find some major sonic flaw or playability issue in my $2500 "Olga", but she held her ground, due to a very good setup,a little luck, and a meaty ebony board--James Leary (Count Basie) played it the other day, and could not believe the tone out of this hunk 'o ply. Of course he was blazing "Freedom Jazz Dance" among other chop laden melodies, and she really sang---Now comes lots and lots of practice---the fun part.....Anyway, thought I'd pass on my little bit of inspirational rant/raving---The shop owner even threw in a nice bag, and a pretty scary fibreglass bow.Anyway,from a lurker who's now a player, thanks for all the info and ideas------This is a very informative board, as is Bob G's , and his links, etc—I’ve learned a hell of a lot in the last few months-
  2. telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  4. englehart blues

englehart blues

Nov 30, 2001
    Congradulations! I am very happy for you! I am in the same boat (or was...) as you. I have been lurking in here for several months and have learned a great deal but have, as of yet, not "pulled the trigger" and made the purchase. The more you look the better they get I think, and you have looked at many it seems!

I have a little experience with the BG and do Suzuki guitar with my son (age 6).

Anyway, I have played a number of basses here in Houston and am amazed at the difference in sound between seemingly similar quality basses. For the beginner who doesn't have the $, the setup is very important, a high quality setup means a good luthier has to spend time and that means even more $.

Hey, what does telarcfatigue mean anyway?