Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally....a review of my new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Jan 11, 2003.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I finally had a chance to use my new rig on a gig recently and thought I'd drop a quick review on the forum. I made the switch from my original 240 watt Redhead to a "components rig" to better compete with the format of my new band and to give me more tonal flexability and headroom. I'm using a Stewart World 2.1 with a SWR IOD preamp and an Epifani 3X10 cab. The IOD gives me the ability to get that classic pushed or driven tube amp sound without the weight and reliabilty problems. Plus, I get that classic tone with a ton of headroom behind it with the Stewart.

As for the cabinet, I searched for the perfect cab for (literally) 2 years. After countless hours in music stores, many posts at the amp forum, and several trips to see Dan Lenard at the LAG, I finally pulled the trigger on a 3X10. I like the sound and response of 10s, like the portability and high power handling of the Epis, and found the tone of the cab to be the most to my liking. The 3X10 is fairly neurtal sounding, but isn't sterile or flat. It had good lows and a great midrange presence. There's also plenty of top end too, but I think I will actually use the cab without the tweeter.

Overall, Dan Lenard at the Lutheirs Access Group really helped me make the decision by being so patient and helpful (www.luthiersaccessgroup.com). I don't rush into decisions and took a long time to work through all of the possibilities for cabs. Dan was extremely pations and helpful, and I strongly recommend anyone who is interested in owning a high-end rig or a fine, hand-crafted custom bass to contact him. He know's his stuff and sells some great basses. Now....if I could only stop that ringing in my ears!