1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally, a Steinberger Synapse string adapter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joenoone, Feb 1, 2017.

1. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    When I got my 5-string fretless Synapse many years ago, the headstock came with holes for double ball strings and a built-in string adapter. Well, the string adapter was crap and broke the first time I tried to use it. I've spent years trying to get replacement parts with no luck. Gibson won't sell to individuals, and every store/chain I talked tried and was also unable to get the parts from Gibson (I even had the exact part number provided BY Gibson).

Well, I recently found on ebay a luthier from Italy that has a great aftermarket replacement. I got one and it is what I was looking for (although I can no longer use double-ball strings with it). I figure I'd pass it along if anyone else was searching...

Steinberger Synapse nut strings lock capotasto | eBay

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I think Headless.com also sells replacement parts as well as Ed Roman

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks for the link. I've never had trouble getting double ball strings in the gauges I like, but good to know somebody besides Roman carries these.

4. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    My issue is my bass is fretless and the only place I could find good half/flat/tape wound double ball strings was Status Graphite, and they don't make them anymore. I did look at Ed Romans site but I didn't see synapse parts, just parts for older Steinbergers.

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yeah, flats would be a problem in double ball. Roman bought up a lot of old factory parts and now deals them out like gold nuggets.

BurnOut likes this.
  6. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Thank you. My tele headless uses a synapse headpiece, and it slips.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Filed away for possible future use. I use flats on both of my Synapse 5s, I have Status ones on the fretted and what I think are the originals on my fretless (bought it used.)

I'm hoping Rob will have a new flats supplier by the time I need new strings (which hopefully would be in years), but if not something like this may be my best option.

8. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Ordered one. I'll post my findings.

HeavyDuty likes this.
  9. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Here's pictures of mine installed.
    pic1. pic2.

10. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Does it grab the strings better? My synapse headpiece seems to slip pretty badly. Enough so that the hipshot headless tuning bridge ends up bottomed out after a week or so. No bueno. Can't use dbl ball strings on the bass, cuz it's a 35" scale.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm. Not sure I like that fit. I'd be tempted to reshape it a little and refinish it.

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Are you sure about that scale length? I just put a tape on both of my Synapse 5s to be sure, and they are as I remembered - 34" scale. Ball to ball is close to 35".

13. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    My stock headpiece came with string adapters that were inserts in the headpiece that didn't work right and shattered after the second use. Don't know if they later redesigned it, but even before it shattered it wasn't the right opening for most strings and sucked. This works great - haven't had any issues with it so far.

BassikLee likes this.
  14. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Why yes, I am. Mine isn't a synapse. It's a synapse headpiece, used in conjunction with a hipshot headless system bridge, on a custom bass. Spector neck that I beheaded.

Attached Files:

HeavyDuty likes this.
  15. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Here's a picture of the back side of my stock headset. The top holes are where the string adapter inserts that didn't fit right were.
    0210171004[1].

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Aha! Makes sense now.

BassikLee likes this.