Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally, after 16 years, TWO new basses!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Aug 9, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

A bit of background info to set the stage for why I'm so excited:

The last new bass I bought was in 1989 -- a Steinberger XL-2 -- when I was in college. It largely replaced my Ric 4003 as my main bass, and I absolutely love it.

Then I went to grad school, and money got tight (Palo Alto is EXPENSIVE!!! :spit: ), and I started teaching in San Jose, and money got tighter. I got married (to a grad student, but at least she was getting her degree in Electrical Engineering, instead of African History :D ), and we eventually moved to Oregon. Since she makes three times as much as I do, she works, and I stay at home with our daughter, who has serious medical issues. We went a long time being able to afford little more than the necessities. My bass had gathered a little dust while I spent all my time taking care of my daughter. :(

Finally, we got back to having "fun money." My wife got her annual bonus and asked me what I'd like, and of course, I said "A NEW BASS!!!" :bassist: At first, I wanted to be frugal, and since I'd always admired Stingrays, decided to do some research on OLP basses, which is how I found Talkbass. After doing some background research, I began going out and playing basses, and I felt like a kid in a candy store. It was great to walk in and know I could actually afford a new bass. I played an OLP, and was not terribly impressed, and told my wife -- well, it's not a Stingray. She said: "Then why not get a Stingray?" I told her they were around $1200 or so, and she said: "SO?" :D :D :D

Yep, that's my wife!!! Gave me the green light to start looking in the $1-2K range for a 5-string bass!!! (I needed to have some excuse why my Steinie and Ric needed a new companion -- plus, I wanted something new to rekindle the interest). So I began spending a lot more time lurking here starting in December and January, and began spending as much time as possible playing basses in stores -- I was going to make this fun ride LAST a while before I made my decision.

After playing many basses, I decided I really wanted the versatility of a Jazz bass, and the best overall playing/sounding bass I'd encountered was a Lakland Bob Glaub P-type bass. (Disclaimer: I never played a Sadowsky, in part because my wife was a little taken aback by the price at first, and I didn't want to play something I couldn't buy; also none were available locally, AFAIK). So after great consideration, I finally ordered a black Lakland Darryl Jones 5-string with a J-retro preamp. It took a while to arrive, as there was confusion in my order, but it came last week. I've posted a review on the second page of this thread; suffice it to say I LOVE the way it feels and sounds, and I like the passive sound so much that I probably have the J-retro off about 50% of the time I'm playing it.

While waiting for the Lakland to show up, I continued to haunt music stores, and began GASing for an acoustic bass as well. Because of my daughter's condition, I can't be in a band as she spends lots of time in the hospital, and it's almost impossible to get babysitting for her special needs. As a result, an ABG is a great choice for me for playing while sitting around watching TV and listening to her on the monitor. I played a few models, and was thinking about the Olympia and the Michael Kelly ABGs. THe Michael Kelly Solid AB in particular sounded really good. Then one day I took my wife into a shop and played a Tacoma Thunderchief. I was floored. She was impressed, and I suggested sheepishly that Father's Day was coming up, and I'd had a tough year as a stay-at-home dad with an autistic child. I mentioned that I could really go for a 5-string model, but I didn't think she'd actually spring for it.

BUT SHE DID!!!! I love my wife. :D

Anyway, it ended up backordered, and finally arrived today, as a nice consolation prize for a vacation we had to cancel due to another medical emergency courtesy of my daughter (another thread).

So I'm pretty excited! Here's the pics: Reviews have now been posted below.

Attached Files:

2. BartmanPDX

Not bad for someone who is stuck at home and can't be in a band!

Attached Files:

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You're a good man!! Fathering a child is easy, being a father is not!! Much respect!!

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    nice axes

the DJ is the boobies

5. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    lOVELY WIFE!! MY MAN
    Hey hows your daughter then, man, i am so touched with your situation, life is not easy and the 15k fodera is kind of unreal !!

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You've got a great wife there!
    And you also got nice basses ;)
    I hope your daighter's condition will improve over time...
    And I also hope that your hardships you encountered so far will cease
    Good luck with everything!

7. SpIkE27Z

SpIkE27Z

Jul 29, 2005
    good story, congrats..

I have an OLP bass :spit:

haha, :p
    congrats on the new bass though, and btw I like my OLP for the price (I've only been playing bass like almost 2 weeks..)

8. Great Story!!
    I am so glad it worked out for you.

That Lakland is sweet!

9. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Dude, That's a great wife that you've got there! Congrats on some sweet new axes...

Your family is in my prayers, hang in there!

10. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Nice man!
    Your basses rule..
    But from the looks of it, not nearly as much as your wife. ;) :D :bassist:

11. BartmanPDX

+1,000,000. :D

Thanks for all your kind wishes. My daughter is doing OK for now, though last weekend pretty much stunk. :spit: I hate going to the ER -- they won't let me bring a bass to play while we sit around and wait. :D

I'll post reviews of both basses here this afternoon, while she's asleep.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like the wife is a keeper. I know I'm looking for the same thing in a future wife... willingness to buy me basses. My girlfriend's nearly trained, she can put up with going to guitar stores, and she even points out what she likes, I play, and I've even begun teaching her a bit, but hey, you're lucky.

But you've got a good heart, giving up what you'd love for your daughter, deserves extra props (and even more basses) in my book.

13. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Bartman,

Where did you do your bass shopping in PDX? I live 285 miles down I-5 and we travel to Portland a couple of times a year. Besides GC I wonder if there are other shops that have a decent selection of basses in Portland. I have looked in the phone book and actually have been in a couple of the shops but not for years. TIA

avid

14. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Congratulations Bartman! You truly deserve that bass. I should also say welcome to the 'Club of Bass Players who have Understanding Wives". I understand it's somewhat exclusive.

As others have previously offered as well, I send my best wishes for your daughter's health and condition to improve.

15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The DJ is pure sex. congrats.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Congrats, I admire anybody who plays the same bass for sixteen years before switching. Are you in African History? That's my field.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Apple Music is about the best place going in Stumptown. I was pleasantly surprised at the range of bass stuff they have on hand. Eden, Ampeg, Mesa, and a couple other amp lines, Lakland, G&L, Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez, ESP, Rics, Stingrays...there was more, but that's all I can recall at the moment. They're nice guys and are reasonably priced. Not to mention the gear is in good shape, and decently set up for the most part; you can actually get a feel for how a bass plays at Apple.

(Lived in PDX from 2003-2004, probably headed back next spring)

18. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Way to go man,
    I've yet to hear of many other folks as deserving. You definately earned those basses.
    Cheers,
    Karl

19. BartmanPDX

+1 on Apple Music. A great store, and always nice to support a local place instead of a MegaGuitarMart-type place, in my book. That's where I was able to try out some Laklands, though I ended up ordering from Steve "Dude" Barr.

Also, Portland Music Co. had a great selection of acoustic basses. I was able to try the Tacoma, along with Martins, Michael Kellys, and some other basses. I had to drive to Newberg to check out the Olympia, though.

20. BartmanPDX

Yeah, I was pursuing a Ph.D. in African History at Stanford, but dropped out to get married and teach high school (I liked teaching more than research). I lived in Zambia for a few months while working on my Masters', then switched to South Africa when I was preparing for the Ph.D. Nice to hear from a fellow Africanist.