Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Mesa Boogie 400+

2. Mesa Boogie 400

3. Ampeg SVT-II

4. Ampeg Svt (Vintage)

1. Ok, so i've done lots of research on tube amps and i've decided on four tube amps im choosing from.

1. Mesa Boogie 400+: Sounds pretty good and most people seem to perfer it over other tube amps. I'm just kinda worried because I wonder if 6L6's will sound good for bass, being guitar tubes and all.

2. Mesa Boogie 400: I like the sound of this one, because you can interchange 6550 tubes and 6L6 tubes also. Supposedly sounds like an SVT-II when you have in the 6550 tubes, but cleaner and punchier.

3. Ampeg SVT-II: I have heard this one sounds like the modern SVT-2PRO but is 100x more reliable. I also think this one will go good to match my Ampeg 810 cab.

4. Ampeg SVT (vintage, Maybe MTI Era?): Classic vitage svt. Not much more to say.

Out of these four, which one for lets say Glassjaw/ Thrice/ Mars Volta styled music?
  2. I played a Vintage SVT/Ampeg 810 combo one time and it's the best rock/metal sound I've ever heard!
  3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Having played through both...I like the midrange on the old SVT better. The Mesas has plenty of gas, but sound kind of wooly to my ear.

One man's opinion.
  4. Vintage SVT preferably, but i put the SVT II, because they are 'ard as nails and im really happy with mine :)

To split between the mesa and ampeg sides, do you like a mid boosted or mid scooped sound more?
  5. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    I purchased the Strategy 400 Stereo because I was looking for a straight poweramp. I already had a rack preamp/eq/comp that I liked and I didn't want to compromise any of that sound. I knew I wanted a tube head, and I knew I wanted stereo, so after a lot of research I decided to drop the $750 (used). When I received it and began playing through it, I was nothing short of delighted.

But that was my situation with my ears. To achieve the thrice/glassjaw/mars volta sound, I think it has a lot less to do with the amp than other components. Do some research on their bassists' rigs and see what they're using. Another big thing to conisder is if you want stereo effects...

edit: Are you talking about the M/B Bass 400 or Strategy 400? The Bass 400 has six powertubes and the Bass 400+ has twelve (as does the strategy). I'd get the Bass 400+ over the Bass 400 anyday. If you like the SVT sound go for the II.
  6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Did you look into the orange ad200b at all?
  7. the Bass 400 was designed for 6 x 6550 tubes, so it runs at ~300 watts, it can also use 6 x 6L6 tubes and run at ~150 watts

the 400+ can only use 12 x 6L6's so its ~300 watts aswell
  8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Vintage SVT - esp. w/ Berg NV cabs - good stuff.