finally as requested...Photography of Detroit.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm almost done with my project for my class, so I have a bunch of pictures some people here were curious to see. These ones are all black in white, I haven't scanned my color negatives yet. Ignore some of the tonal incorections and added color.

Don't remember where this is at.

Outside the old Michigan Central Station.

I think this is off Woodward or Gratiot.

Behind the Michigan Cental Station.

MCT again

Downtown Rooftops.

I guess I have a lot around the old train station.

Wire. I tried to touch it with my fingers, but that's not a good idea.

Stray dogs

That's enough for now, More later.
  2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    It's about time!

Those are killer man, very good
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Very old-school documentarian. I dig 'em!
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice pictures. Did you go inside any of those abandoned buildings? I bet King James was in there looking for some treasure. :)

Seriously though...I would like to go in one of those buildings and look around.

5. Reminds me of Hiroshima...
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    That abandoned train station.... ALL marble floors. And it's just sitting there. Incredible.

I read they recently started salvaging a lot of the stuff in there, because real marble is getting more and more expensive.
  7. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Is that Auschwitz?
  8. it looks good on the pictures

I'd love to go there when I visit the states(prolly in a year or so) but I don't think I'd feel safe really, just because of the stories and such

about the marble: they did that with the colosseum in the middle ages and early renaissance, that's why what's still there looks a bit...wrecked
  9. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Bad Brains,

Nice photography. You do seem to have a knack for that.

10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  11. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Cool stuff for sure man. I'm a big black and white fan. However, $10 says the Detroit Tourist and Travel Department doesn't use these pictures on their webpage to attract visitors though :p
  12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nice pictures, depressing subject.
  13. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Those are great captures BB. I love 'em. :D

My only criticism would be the angle in #6. I think the angle you used works lovely in all the others to give a feeling of disruption. I think #6 would look even better if you straightened it up a bit in PS.

Great work!
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very nice. You are quite aware of the composing of lines and shapes. If you really want to document this area... I'd recommend getting closer. Keep doing these disant shots showing the overall surroundings, but then dig deeper. Get closer to the buildings and/or go inside... I won't tell the cops. Just BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU ARE STEPPING... some of those old buildings may be death traps. But if you are careful, you could get some amazing stuff (not that this stuff isn't great)

I don't know if you'd have access, but if you have an interest in this type of work, I strongly recommend 4x5 camera. It gives you the powers to set up lines and selective focus and perspective in such an amazing way... it would help give you that "dreamy" feel that I think these photos could use (dreams of a dead city... sort of). Ansel Adams use the adjustable perspective to make objects loom forward. It has a lot of potential.
  15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Yes, the Michigan Central Station is a phenominal looking building, and extremly well built.

This as close as I could get to it. Reminds me of Roman and Greek ruins.

Thanks for the comments everyone. My colored shots show the more positive side of Detroit, I will post those after I get them scanned to be fair. I would like to get inside some of these buildings, but I don't know what I would have to do to be able to do that legally.
  16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Yes, it's a gorgeous building, and, if we can avoid it being knocked down, I believe will stand the test of time, much like some of the famous building of the past.

I wouldn't suggest entering most of these buildings. Not so much from a legal standpoint, but, because while these buildings are "abandoned" they are not exactly "uninhabited," if you know what I mean.

Want to take some cool shots of an old abandoned building? There's an abandoned mental hospital in Northville I've been to a few times. It's pretty sweet, they pretty much just left everything right where it was and left. The place is still full of paperwork, office furniture, and even some electroshock equipment.
  17. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Detroit, Ghost district
  18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    If I had more balls I could probably get closer and deeper, but I usually just want to get the shot as quickly as possible and get back in the car. I would never go into one of these buildings alone, that's for sure.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You can all go here.
  20. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Here are some throw-aways

A bus

Erie house.

The "Heilderburg project" (spelling?). Strange little area.