1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally bought my bass…

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaXell, Feb 22, 2004.

1. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Well, after a month and a half of agonizing over that Spector NS4CR I posted about, and every other bass in my 2 local shops (and a couple of not so close shops), I finally made a decision.

I bought a used MIM Fender Jazz. Its black, with white pickguard, just a little buckle rash on the back, but overall in good condition. The action is nice and low and I like the slim neck. It sounds great through my POD XT.

It’s completely different from everything else I’ve been looking at, so when I finally get around to buying something else, I won’t really be duplicating. Who knows, I may decide this is all I need. I think I actually like having something I don’t have to be so careful with, (like I am with my precious Stratocaster). I may be doing some upgrades and mods to it and I’m a little interested in a J-Retro. I need to think quite a bit about the J-Retro at $299 as it will cost more than I paid for the Jazz.

The funniest thing about buying this Jazz, is that I have always hated the looks of both the Fender P’s and Jazz’s, and I said at the beginning of this, that I would never buy a Jazz. I guess over the past month, the look has finally started to appeal to me. Thanks to all that offered me advice.

Jeff

2. Dem jazzes 'll getya sooner or later - Congrats on seeing the light!

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    While I'm a diehard P guy, I do have a J kicking around too.
    I really think everyone should have one. Imo they are the most versatile Basses ever built.

Jeff- congrats on your J.