Finally built up my first project!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rojo412, Aug 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yeah, I know... I've completed quite a few other projects before this one. However, this Stingray body was the first thing I attempted and it got shelved because finishing is annoying and other things were more fun.
    But since it was mocking me from the shelf, I thought "Why not just build it?"

So here it is, the first body I attempted:

IMG_3963.JPG
    IMG_3964.JPG IMG_3965.JPG IMG_3966.JPG IMG_3967.JPG IMG_3970.JPG

The whole bass started as a US SUB. I got the Status neck from @handofseven years ago and happily played the bass since. But at the beginning of my curiosity on building basses, this was the first thing I tried to make. And it went okay, although over the past year and a half, I realized that this first effort could be better, so I would alter it here and there.

Finishing was an experiment with Helmsman Spar... and I hate it. Despite the time it's been sprayed and curing, it still kinda stinks. And it's not fun to work with. But it looks nice!

After a gig Saturday, I decided to take the leap and just transfer parts over to the body. It went pretty well and now I have a fancier looking version of this:

IMG_3491.JPG IMG_3492.JPG

So yeah, it feels good to finally complete something I started last February.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yes, very cool. I'm definitely one of those "learn by doing" people, so my early efforts are rather iffy, but it is neat to be able to re-work one and have it turn out well. Congrats!

rojo412 likes this.
  3. looks great!

BnB

rojo412 likes this.
  4. GunsandGuitars

GunsandGuitars Commercial User

Aug 1, 2017
    Youtube.com/gunsandguitars
    Great job!!!

rojo412 likes this.
  5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Nice work!

rojo412 likes this.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Thanks everyone! Looking forward to practice on Thursday for a field test.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep: great job! :thumbsup:

i, too, have noticed some of my instruments "mocking" me from time to time!

rojo412 likes this.
  8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    This is awesome and gives me inspiration to finish my project!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021