1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally called a teacher!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Jun 3, 2007.

1. And don't know what to expect as such.

I met the guy over 14 years ago when he played bass in an awesome metal outfit I liked and went to see heaps.

Perths a small town so during those acts and the whole time since, I'd bump into him occassionally, say bi-annually skip one here or there, and have a chat.

In December I contacted him about lessons but he told me he doesn't teach anymore due to time but would me since he remembered me and all, so let him know when. I was rightly chuffed so looked up his bio and saw he started in school, on violin and has been doing music pretty much since. He's around my age I guess so 30's.

I left the lessons since I didn't need them as such, then joined a band and felt I did. I've had enough of trying to stumble through resources on my own, so I called him out of the blue today and arranged them.

My first lesson with him is in a fortnights time. Woohoo! I can't wait.

2. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    What language do you speak in Perth :bag:

Just kidding - Good Luck with the lessons. :bassist:

3. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    The US and Australia are two countries separated by a common language. :) It happens all the time. I have a friend in the UK and sometimes I call upon another friend in Canada to translate for me. (BTW, English is her third languange behind Hungarian and French and she still speks it better than most people that speak English as a first language.)

4. Alright! What is it about the way I speak that everyone comments on on TB it's a trend I've noticed lately?

Is it just my spelling? Or anything else? I don't know. Anyway, we speak English here, well, Ostraylun.

Oh, and thanks :)

Still don't get it I can understand US people just fine. I hope :)

5. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    English has some distinct dialects. For the most part I can understand an Australian with no problems, but I did see every Crocodile Dundee movie. :)

I was on another forum a while back and some guy showed up that posted for all the world like he was Steve Irwin come back to life. He was trying to be obnoxious and wrapping it all up in what appeared to be phony Aussie lingo. He got the bum's rush out in a big hurry.

6. OK fair call.

My lingo isn't phoney, thats how I speak. Well, minus most of the swearing you get in person. I will try to be more thoughtful that people struggle to understand me, it can only help us both.

Thanks mate!

7. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Nio criticism intended. I enjoy the Australian approach to English, just as I appreciate my Canadian neighbors and the folks in Great Britain. We all speak the same language with a few interesting variations and we all share much in the way of culture. Let's put it like this, Perth is thousands of miles from where I live and work and I find it a lot easier to understand what you say than my neighbors 50 miles to the south that speak Spanish . . . very rapidly.

8. None taken mate :)
    I am especially fond of "Southern Drawl" and "Cockney" accents mahself, and my wife loves the American pronunciation of "Donna" (Dana almost), and my 7yo is also quite fond of the like Bratz, Hello! Dad, I'm a grrl" US speak too it seems.

9. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    My speech is a curious blend of Northern nasal and a Western drawl. People from Minnesota, the state I lived in until I was 14, think of me as having a Southern or Western accent but when I run into an ex-patriate Minnesotan down here in Arizona they pick up the Northerner in my speech right away.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021