1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally, completed... let's say so... (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Frank Martin, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So basically you ask him to make a bass, just not assemble it? :p

Thanks again for the kind words! :)

Sub:
    Well, this trafo thing is a bit of a trade-off, and a lot of work.
    You get voltage gain, which is interpreted as a stronger signal by the amps. But you have to find an iron for it that is small enough to fit in a bass yet big enough to wind 2-3000 turns; also, it has to have even frequency range. Now, this doesn't, it starts getting wacky at the highs, but fortunately those highs are in the >10kHz range :smug: A lot of irons behave badly in the lower freqs, too, which is especially bad in this use. Also, it adds some weight; and it needs good shielding.

Corrections from my Dad:
    this is a "Permalloy M"-type iron in this one.
    Hypersil also works nicely, but is bigger.
    Going with the "if it sounds good, it is good" mantra, we kept it. :) The output was very weak otherwise.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You must be dedicated to the passive thing... I would have just gotten a Bartolini buffer pre.

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, we also built an buffer pre, but I liked this design better.
    C'mon, no batteries - no worries :)
    Going with an aftermarket pre would've been expensive here - and everyone can do that :smug: :p

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    haha.. PERHAPS...

i'd be making the body

its like buying warmoth parts

but with more options, higher quality, and less cost.

and im doing the body myself. just getting a fancy blank :)

5. Nice bass, I like your idea about using the copper plating for the sheilding, did you do that for the pickups as well? And I think that I might just have to steal that idea.

lowsound

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, in the end, we didn't. Fitting something as big as that into the tight cavity was a major pain in the @$$. Also, these p-ups are humbuckers, which are not as noisy as SCs; also, they appear to be shielded (under all that epoxy). Without the shielding in the p-up cavity, it was absolutely silent - so we decided it isn't necessary.