1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally curbed my Pbass gas for the time being and boy does it need work

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Ok I had a neck up for trade a while back an someone offered me a fixer upper. Its a korean Squier II from 1989.. Well fixer upper is not quite the word I would use. I think major overhaul would be better.

Its got a ply body and it appears to be about 12 ply LOL. Rusted and oxidized hardware, ruse everywhere, neck is aged and worn maple, body once was white pearl but its not no more its more of a custard pearl color now, dings and dents everywhere hahaha this thing has seen better days.

But its got a charm to it, im hoping that the wear on this was cause it sounded good.. Highly unlikely but ive been known to shine a few turds in my day..

I already bathed it with 1/2 roll of paper towels and various clean agents.

Now when I get home I have to recrown the frets, there worn pretty bad. I have to rewire the whole thing including the pickup leads there shot as well.

I also got to do a few other things. So looks like ill be busy tonight.

Pics to come this evening.

Update.. Frets crowned and dress, rewired pickup at the pickup had bad leads, rewired whole bass, made a custom pickguard, cleaned the fricking bejesus out of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Um... aren't you the guy who does that stuff on purpose..?

:D

3. :p Nice one!!!

I have a double P pup Electra in about the same condition. The body is maple though and I already have it primed, wet sanded and ready for paint. The time I spent prepping the body, I could have made a complete knife, sold it and bought a serious bass :mad: Working on basses keeps my mind off fast motorcycles so I guess that's a good thing :confused:

Cant wait to see your finished project. :)

4. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    hhhaha yup but mine play well.. This ummm isnt playable in its current state.

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    LOL!

6. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hehehehe doesnt sound to bad after a crapload of work...

7. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Updated for pics..

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Yeah, that P GAS can be killer. I had to pickup an SX P to cure mine.

9. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    ok got a video now.. This was pre-pickguard. I just didnt like the look of nothing on it.. It was to much empty real estate so something had to be done.

I still need to make a backplate for it since one was included.. Anyone own one of these thats wants to make my life easier and trace it on a piece of paper?

Brett

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Looks and sounds pretty damn good Brett. I dig the custom pg, different but still classic looking. Great playing too.

11. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    thanks