Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally decided, just ordered a Hevos rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Dec 2, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    See page 2 of this thread for the new arrival!

After endless comparing and thinking I just sent off the order for my new Hevos rig, I'm excited! More pics and a review once it arrives!. Which will be a few weeks from now, but I couldn't help posting anyway... :D:):D

<TABLE><TR><TD valign=top>[​IMG]</TD><TD valign=top>400B dual-tube hybrid amp * 400 W/4ohm
    2x 12AX7 * 5 band active EQ
    Weight: 10 kg (22 lbs)

COMPACT 12" Plus
    Type: bass reflex
    Loudspeakers: 1x12", 1x6", tweeter
    Crossover: 3500 Hz, 6000 Hz
    Power: 300 Watts
    Frequency range: 35 Hz-20 kHz
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Max. sound pressure: 124 dB
    Dimensions: 53x42x34cm (21x16,5x13,5")
    Weight: 22 kgs (48 lbs)

COMPACT 15"
    Type: bass reflex
    Loudspeakers: 1x15"
    Power: 400 Watts
    Frequency range: 30 Hz-1 kHz
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Max. sound pressure: 124 dB
    Dimensions: 53x49x34cm (21x19,5x13,5")
    Weight: 20 kgs (43,5 lbs)
    </TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>

Edit: Changed subject line.

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    sounds huge!! Any comparation to ebs or glockenklang?

3. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    From what I have heard Hevos and Glockenklang are comparable in quality and sound. EBS is great too, but not quite in that league IMHO. I don't think you could go very wrong with either of them though. I chose the Hevos Compact speakers because I think the 15"/12"/6"/tweeter combination will offer good sounds for both fretted, fretless and electric upright.

4. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I would really like to hear how you like them.

Congrats

5. about how much was each piece (in USD)? I spent some time on their site and am intrugued

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    78p,

they'd prolly cost as much as Glockie's do here. but i'm really interested as well. lots of American brands here, but always cool to see what's out there across the pond.

7. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Maybe it's heretic, but from my opinion european stuff always sounded dark and cold in comparition to american amps (less charming I said). Am I wrong?:(

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think flat can be mistaken for cold or hard. Nothing the EQ can't change. I prefer to not have a pronounced mid-range hump or dip, which many (American) manufacturers seem to like.

On price; I made a quick comparison of Glockenklang prices and was amazed! Apparently you Americans gets just as punished when importing as we do. A "Uno 1x15" is $1349 (Salwender) but about $660 in Germany (Musik-Produktiv). A "Duo 2x10" is $1499 versus $740.

The Hevos Compact Plus stack (the two speakers) is 1550 Euro, ca $1540, but if the same price difference is true it would be $3000 in the States. Crazy! We see similar price differences for American gear here, perhaps not twice the price, but a *lot* more expensive.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Congrats Anders.
    I´ve been drooling all over Hevos´ site for a couple of years now. I´m looking at the Donar cab as the Compact is too much $ for me.
    Really looking forward to your review.
    How long is the wait for that rig? Do Hevos have a stock or do they build when you order?

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hi jock! I don't have a firm delivery date yet, but from previous mail conversation it's about six weeks. They will give me a date once everything is sorted with shipping etc. Hopefully they have some in stock, but usually I think they build to order. I really like the Donar (Plus) cab too, and would get one if I only were to buy one cab. I feel the Compact stack is more versatile for me though, for my jazz/pop band I'll just bring the 12" and for the blues band both cabinets.

11. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Oohh aahh, I expected a couple of weeks wait but just got a mail from Hevos that says my stack is sitting on a transport on its way from Holland to Sweden right now! It should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday! And so is my new Overwater fretless, since the day before yesterday it's in transit from England! Guess what I'll be doing over the Xmas and New Years holidays... :D

12. Hevos, isn't that the Spanish word for eggs? :D

13. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    ...as in on my face when I discover my new and never before buying seen in real life rig sucks said oval objects?

:D

Edit: OK, OK, so English punctuation isn't my strongest skill...

14. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Nice looking Rig..I'm sure you'll keep us informed.

15. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hmm, I don't know if that was sarcastic or not (I have probably earned it), but yes, I will. :)

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Anders, I'm sorry but I didn't understand what you were saying here. And typically, your English is very good. Much better than you give yourself credit for.

I am also very interested in your opinions on the Hevos gear. I've read many interesting reviews over the last several years.

With the prices on the Hevos and the USD prices on the Glocks I would be able to afford a flight to Germany to buy the stuff and bring it home.

I believe that it is pronounce Hee-vos where as egg in Spanish is pronounced wa-vos, correct?

17. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hehe. Yeah, it didn't make much sense, did it? So, let me try some of that punctuation then:

Eggs...

...as in: "on my face" when I discover my new - and never (before buying) seen in real life - rig sucks said oval objects ?

Hmm. Don't know what I was thinking yesterday. Just an experiment with a joke combined with a complicated sentence structure combined with slang. I guess the experiment failed. Sometimes I have a weird sense of humor. Or it could just be that beer turns my brain off. :p

I'm not sure how to pronounce Hevos, but often v is an f in Dutch, so it could be He-fos (with an e sound as in 'Fred')

PS. Thanks for the compliment Jerry, usually I try hard to write correct English, it's fun.

18. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I bet the compact 12 Plus and the compact 15 plus would be a great sound (assuming they sound good to begin with). 15, 12, two 6's and two tweeters. Almost like an Accugroove ;)

And Jerry, I considered flying over when it's time for my rig if I decide on Glock. If you combine it with a vacation it's entirely justified. You get a vacation you would've taken anyway and you get all the gear you wanted and save about $1000.

19. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Wanna know what hevos means in finnish?

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Congrats!........that is a VERY fine looking rig:)