Finally decided on an Amp. Its a ...............

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Morris, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Hi folks,
    Thanks to everyone for the help in choosing my new amp. Gosh its been like 2 months of trying gear out, falling in and out of love with various bits of kit, locating stock here in the UK (harder than you may think!) and finally making that crucial decision. Everyone has been so cool so again thanks. I am new to Talkbass and joined primarily to find info on getting a new amp but I'll be sticking around now.

My quest has taken me through a SWR Mo bass with Megoliath cab (real close!), a Mesa Boogie Buster combo , a SWR sm900 with Goliath snr, a Ampeg B5R with a 410hlf, an Eden Highwayman with an Eden 4x10 (with a concentric speaker) an ancient Peavy mk3, a Roland DB900 plus a whole host of underperformers I shan't mention.

Anyway let me cut to the chase. The rig I'll be collecting this weekend is a Mesa Boogie 400+ with a 1516BE cab. It is second hand but in really good condition. The cab is a 1x15, 1x10, 2x6 + horn config. The cool thing is as it is a BE model, all the speakers are Electrovoice. I'll post some pics asap. Jeepers creepers am I excited or what? I know some of you will think I have made the right decision and others (Munji???) may think I'm off my rocker (especially turning down an Eden!). I'll record this beast in the near future and I'll post the results.

Okay thanks folks and I'll be posting again soon.......
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When you get to that level, no second guessing or apologies are relevant. The Mesa 400+ is an absolute MONSTER to be reckoned with.

I luv `em!!!! (But, dayumm!!! the cost of tubes and recaps!)

You are definitely a "big dog" with any band in terms of tone and volume. I pity anyone close to your stage. They will need to see an orthopedic surgeon soon.

3. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Oh no!! I've just returned from London all excited with my Boogie 400+ only to find it has a problem. I am really annoyed about this as when I tried it out in London (fairly extensively) it was fine. When I set it up in the studio it started making a really horrible humming noise centered around the 50 hz (uk mains) frequency. I tried revalving it with the new set that I got with the amp but that did'nt make a difference. With the amp in standby I can hear the hum originating in the power supply. My friend seems to think its one of the capacitors that has gone funny.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem or has anyone else with a 400+ or similar had the same thing happen?