1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally Did It! 1987 SVT 300 "Skunkworks" Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdogg, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Well, I finally took the plunge and pulled the trigger on a 1987 SVT "skunkworks" head. The deal thread is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330214478445&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=014

I'm really looking forward to getting this bad boy, and setting it atop the requisite 810 cabinet. I'm currently running the CL, so I'm pretty anxious to compare the tonal differences. For those of you with the experience, how would you compare the "skunkworks" head to the modern SVT VR? In doing a search, I found several comments to the effect that the "skunkworks" head gave a good run at the original 70's era SVT's, but that there were some tonal differences.

Well, I can't wait to get her to my bands practice space, and fire her up! And I will certainly post my observations and experiences comparing the "skunkworks" to my CL.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Nice score you lucky kdogg!

3. Congrats!!!! Can't wait to hear how she fires up!!!!! GREAT stuff!

4. nice find, i can't wait to hear how you like her:)

5. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks guys!

6. Nice! Interesting to see how to looks like a combination of the vintage 70's heads and the modern ones. Wonder which it sounds closer to?

7. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Did you ever use this amp? I'm still working on my early 80's SVT.

8. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Should be nearly the same as the original 70s SVT with the only major exception being the tube compliment in the pre using 12AX7s instead of 12DW7. Some say the skunkworks arent quite as loud but sound almost the same. I dont have any personal experience with a skunkworks SVT.

9. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Yep, if it's a skunkworks it should have 12AX7's. My early 80's has 12DW7s and 12BH7's.

10. Both MTI and SVT HD's used 12BH7's as driver tubes. It was only the 12DW7's that were replaced with 12AX7's.