1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally did it

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tgriley62, Nov 1, 2013.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Please induldge an old guy's rambelings. Just had my first jam session with other musicians Wednesday. The last time I played bass was in 1981 in high school with a guitarist friend, I never learned and quit playing after HS. Now after starting back four years ago and just bedroom/practice playing I meet a drummer and guitarist that have both played in various bands and got asked to sit in. I showed up and could not belive how nervous I was. They played pretty basic rock/country so I pretty much just banged away on Root notes. But, what a blast! At 51 I felt like a kid again, even though after standing for 4 hours I felt it the next day. The good news is that they want to make this a weekly thing. Again thanks for listening and I am still pumped up

2. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Welcome back to one of life's greatest gifts! I am stoked for you. I am 41 and have a family, job, etc. Playing is my hobby and I can't imagine life without it. I hope you get to gig soon- total blast!

3. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    the more you do it, the more the pain will go away!!!

Welcome back and keep on it. Music is what keeps us all young

4. Congratulations! That is something I am wanting to do soon myself.

I have only played and learned with CD's and DVD's, never jammed for real. I am thinking about checking out an open jam here in town I just learned about. They were off this week, so I didn't get to check out the venue or skill level required. I will sit in the audience next week and see how bad I want to embarass myself before I die. :p

Most importantly, I'll see if they require shorts, sunglasses sandals or silly hats.

Way to man up. I am glad they liked your chops!

5. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

My first experience on stage in 1980, now i'm 50, Aerospace Engineer by day, Heavy Metal Bassist by night.....rock on brother!

6. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Playing with other people is the best way to improve your playing, hands down.

7. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Oh belive me I messed up and got lost a bunch. The one thing that I took away from this is that no matter how much you know a piece of music once you play it in a live situation it takes on a whole new dimension but, go for it. I sure am glad I did

8. Way cool, congratulations and have fun.

PS: You need one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Global-24-Cushioned-Folding-Stool/22175347 ;)

Cheers,
    Joe

9. Big_E

Big_E

Nov 1, 2013
    Great that you are getting back into playing music. I played in a lot of local bands 15 to 20 years ago. Then took a long break of about 10 - 12 years. Been back at it about 3 years now and loving every minute of it. I have to agree that playing with people live is the best way to improve.:bassist:

10. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    CONGRATS and, as said above, welcome back to one of life's greatest gifts!

Did similar, playing since I was 10 years old in 1965 until 1989. Was bandless but a Dad and electrical/instrumentation engineer from 1989~2006. Been back at it since children are grown. I explained it to my supervisors at work:

Some folks play golf, some fish, some have other hobby's/forms of entertainment. Music is all of that for me and it exercises the other half of my brain.

11. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    Very happy for you (youngster)

12. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    Totally great.
    Congratulations.

I too had a similar story. Started playing every Friday night in my man cave along with records five years ago and slowly added musicians to the point that we can barely fit all the 40 something's and 50 something's who come over every Friday to jam. Even played out a couple of times and will continue to do so.

13. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Awesome!

14. SilGarzaJr

SilGarzaJr SilGarzaJr

Mar 28, 2012
    North Texas
    Congrats man!!

After nearly fifteen years of not playing I'm playing 6-8 gigs a month and have found it necessary to get a good sub.

Absolute blast and playing in two bands!

Mine started the same way and I would have been fine with weekly practices.

God bless and have fun. Each jam session is another memory that can't be taken away.

sg

15. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    WooHoo! Rock on brother!
    Pay attention to your body, though. Those joints and tendons are probably not as bulletproof as you remember. Do warm-ups and don't overexert and you will be fine.

Anyway, WooHoo!

16. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    Congrats !!!

17. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    That's great! It's never too late to get back into it again. My last gig was in '96 and I pretty much quit until '08. Practiced for a year and wound up playing bass at the church I go to. Here I am at 60 and this past May I got into a Thursday night gig with some players/friends I've met and have played with at church!

18. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Great -- had a few moments like that last night at a gig. The whole room was wild with people cheering and dancing -- and we were playing smooth jazz!!! The best is yet to come my friend!!!