1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally did it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxpigxx, Mar 21, 2009.

1. xxpigxx

xxpigxx

Nov 4, 2007
    Got myself a bass.

I had alot of bills come up since I first decided to start playing, so was unable to buy anything a a year and a half ago :(

But I just got my Fender Squier today.

28 years old and trying to learn something new :help:

Any pointers for a newbie?

2. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Visit the General instruction and Technique forum, plenty of useful links and info there.

3. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    +1

Good for you. Have fun and enjoy it.:bassist:
    Sometimes I go cross-eyed at the amount of information here on TB.

4. Roadman

Roadman

Mar 26, 2008
    Find a good teacher in your area. Even if you only take lessons few a few months, it will keep you from getting frustrated and bored and then putting it down.
    Once you get a decent foundation, you can take it as far as you want to go. But getting off on the right foot with a little proper technique, some scales and theory, will go a long long way towards keeping that new baby from being lost in the back of the closet forever.
    Most importantly though, relax, have fun and be patient. Learning music is a life long journey, enjoy it.

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Easy question to answer - take lessons!

I was 10 years older than you when I first started playing bass and didn't start taking lessons until last fall when I was 44. I should have done that years ago. Sure my instructor is only 20 and it was kind of awkward for both of us at first, but it's an interesting arrangement. It's even more interesting when *I* teach him something, which has happened more than once (actually, teaching him something and correcting him is starting to get on my nerves because it's usually something really I think he should know :eyebrow:).

Oh, and never, EVER go into the For Sale forums. You'll be in a 12 step program for gear addiction within a year. ;)

Of course I'm kidding about the For Sale forums. I've had great success buying and selling basses here and found a small set of great basses that works very well for me. Buying used stuff from active members here is a great way to get quality gear at great prices. Just don't succumb to temptation and let it become an addiction. ;)

6. xxpigxx

xxpigxx

Nov 4, 2007
    Thanks for the support ;)

I will see if I can find a decent teacher

7. I've had to ban myself from the FS forum for fear of selling my kidneys and putting myself into further debt for the sake of new gear...:ninja:

But seriously, take lessons. It'll totally pay off in the long run. Congrats on your new bass!