1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FINALLY done building THE ONE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blastjv, Nov 1, 2010.

1. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I have been modifying this bass for a little over a year. It is actually a study in philosophy - if you start with a bass and over the course of time replace every single part of it, is it the same bass anymore...???

Anyway, here it is. Wish I had a working camera, so these are just taken with my phone and edited as best I could...

Here are the specs:

Body:
    • Mighty Mite Solid Swamp Ash - stained to enhance grain, then finished in 2 coats of Tru Oil
    Neck:
    • Moses Graphite Jazz Bass Neck
    Nut:
    • Graphtech Black Tusq Graphite Nut (press-fit)
    Bridge:
    • Fender American Deluxe
    Tuning Machines:
    • Hipshot HB6C Ultralite Tuners
    Pickups:
    • DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Set
    Electronics:
    • Master Volume
    • 250K Alpha Push/Pull Audio Taper
    • Down = All controls bypassed
    • Up = Controls in cicuit
    • Master Tone
    • 250K Alpha Push/Pull Linear Taper
    • .22uf Mallory Tone Capacitor
    • Down = Both pickups on full
    • Up = Bridge pickup solo
    Strings:
    • Ken Smith Rock Masters 45-105 – Tuned C-G-C-F
    Strap:
    • Levy’s 3” Padded leather
    • Schaller Straplocks

I like a bright, aggressive, growly tone with a lot of thump. I play with a pick most of the time, but I can back off and pick lightly or play fingerstyle to get a cleaner sweeter sound. I like the action as low as I can get it without excessive buzzing (I actually like a little buzz). This bass is EXACTLY what I've been looking for and working toward. Honestly, since I've gotten this together, I look at other basses and just lose interest.....

-John

Attached Files:

2. Very cool!

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Great feeling to be GAS free...won't last though...no matter how nice the bass is ;)

JK

Congrats dude!

4. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    No, the GAS just moves to another area...just retubed an SVT with perfectly good tubes in it.....

-JV

5. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This is fairly similar to the bass build I'm starting (sort of).

I'm using a B. Hefner Co. swamp ash body finished with tru-oil, WD Music maple/maple neck, Hipshot Ultralite tuners, aluminum Hipshot A bridge, Tusq nut, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups, an Audere JZ5D preamp, and a 4-ply tort guard.

6. No...but if you put all the cast-off parts back together your original bass will magically reappear! Now you've got TWO basses!

7. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Sold them as I went to help defray the cost of upgrading...

-JV

8. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Exactly what I did. I've sold every part of the original bass and am replacing them with different parts.

9. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Grats with your new bass :)

10. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Very cool bass. Like the push pull options! Although wouldn't it be easier to get a no load tone pot and put the pickup switching under the volume pot?
    Probably not since you've thought about it more than I did!

11. I love it! Congratulations. Must be a good feeling. Nice Ampeg, too.

12. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I've thought about that. The main reasons I did it this way was:

1 - It all but eliminates the chance of accidentally messing up my settings while 'rockin out' (even in my old age, I'm an active player once the music starts). No-Load pots can still get bumped. Mine would have to actually get caught on something in such a specific way as to pull the pot upward...pretty much impossible...

2 - It gives me every option I want and none I don't. I never use the neck pickup solo'd. I only use the bridge pickup solo'd about 5% of the time. I have tried various blending options, both with volume/volume and with blend pots, and I am always happiest with both pickups on full (except for the rare times I do the bridge solo, mostly more almost as an effect).

3 - It allows me to use the volume push/pull pot as a kill switch.

4 - It allows me to pull both up at the same time and have the tone all the way down already for a cool pseudo-fretless tone.

And yeah, I've given this WAY too much thought (that's the TB way), but that doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions. Thanks!

-John

13. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Ah yeah, now I see! Circuit bypassed is your main tone. And pulling the pots up gives you a couple extras. Nice!

14. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Yup!!!

15. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Very nice indeed! Gotta love the "all controls bypassed" setting. It looks very cool too!

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I dig it!

17. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Very cool, well thought out in all ways. I dig your electronics options, clever.

18. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Well Done!

Have fun. Looks like she'll be your girlfriend till you die!

19. I think thats awesome this is truly your baby now. Nothing compares at all!! Have fun with that sweet bass.