1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Finally figured out how to use envelope filters.... TONE KNOB!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 17, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am an old dog learning new tricks when it comes to effects recently. I have had a few filters over the years and I always love how they sound when other people use them but have always been very disappointed with my results. No matter what pedal, amp or what bass I was using, I never got a decent sound. It was always muffle and muddy and I had to play really hard to get it to spike to get the sounds I was looking for.

Well guess what, I play flatwound strings and usually have my tone rolled nearly off on what ever bass I am using. Well low and behold I read the directions on the new Moogerfooger I got and it said to turn up my tone knob because the pedals effect came from filtering the highs.... duh.... it cant filter what aint there. So I put my Aguilar filter twin back on my board and last night.... it was funk city. Lots of hooting and hollering when I kicked it on during my solo. Amazing how slow we can be to discover the seemingly obvious.

woodyng2, Bo0tsy and DirtyDuke like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I noticed this immediately with my first Wah pedal.
    If all you're putting out are lows, there's nothing to manipulate.

DirtyDuke and armybass like this.
  3. OLd dogs can still learn new tricks. :eyebrow:

4. jackstraw316

jackstraw316

Nov 17, 2017
    What moogerfooger you got? the MF-101 is an envelope filter are you using it and the Filter Twin together?

I've been looking for a good envelope filter and curious about that Filter Twin... I'm leaning towards it (with it's funky forward/backwards filters) or the Robototalk 2 with 2 filters. Plus always looking for a Mu-Tron III to fall into my lap.

Envelope Filters are fickle bitches, takes practice for sure. I've looked at all the current ones and reviews of them and it never fails that about 20% of all reviews are 1-2 stars because the player "couldn't find that sound they were looking for", even though it had rave reviews from critics and consumers alike. I think people don't spend time to find that sound their looking for, so many different things can affect the envelope filtering. That said I am addicted to trying them all out. Got a Dunlop DV3P at the post office, my digitech RP155 has input for expression pedal and will act as a real wah rather than autowah when plugged in... I'm not planning to be blown away but who knows.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021