1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally finished my pedalboard.... Now I need some advice/opinions (pics inside)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blizzard, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I'll cut to the chase for those who don't like reading.
    EH BMS + QTRON or the Octavius Squeezer for Muse/NIN style synthy goodness?

Now the long version:

Well I finally finished my pedalboard the other day and got some pics. Basically its a piece of ply, spray painted black and lacquered (one side is gloss and the other is satin because I didn't have enough of either) with heavy duty velcro. Its cut to sit in the case that came with my brother's glockenspiel.

The chain is Effector 13 Soda Meiser+ -> Digitech XBD -> Boss DD-3. (well not really I only have one connecting cable :crying: I plan to rectify that soon.)

So now for the advice part; I play in two bands, one does quite a bit of Muse songs while the other does a few Nine Inch Nail songs. Which is great for me seeing as they're a couple of my favourite bands. I guess you could say I want a Muse/NIN inspired board, (not the exact pedals that Chris or Jeordie/Justin use but similar) so fuzz and synth are a must. I'm pretty much covered on the fuzz side (IMO the SM+ can get a great The Hand That Feeds type sound, also does a pretty convincing Time Is Running Out sound.)

My thinking at the moment is to get a synth pedal and envelope filter (also want it for RHCP stuff). My original plan was to buy a EHX XO BMS and XO Qtron. However now the Chunk Octavius Squeezer caught my eye too. As far as I can tell it should be able to do a plain envelope filter as well as the more crazy synths. Price isn't really an issue, either option should be around the same price. I'm a little reluctant on the OS because noone has tried one yet and I'm not sure how easy it is to use. However I do like the idea of saving presets and that it has a fuzz and envelope circuit in it. Whereas the BMS and Qtron theres plenty of reviews (I liked the Qtron I tried) but you can't switch settings on the fly really and it takes up more real estate.

So umm yeah a little long winded but should I get the Chunk OS or EH BMS and Qtron?

Oh yeah my other pedal GAS is a good compressor and overdrive, but they're slated for a little longer down the track.

pics time.

[​IMG]
    The board. The distance between the delay and digitech pedal is because I only have straigth jack instrument chords.
    [​IMG]
    Soda meiser Plus :hyper: I love this thing, Don't see too many on here.
    [​IMG]
    In its case.
    [​IMG]
    All zipped up for travel;)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Isn't the Octavius like $600 USD? That would put it well above the cost of the other option, and the idea of combining a $600 synth with a $10 Digitech distortion is amusingly perverse. Not saying you shouldn't do it -not even saying I wouldn't do it- but it's a funny approach. :)

I'd say buy the Octavius if you're dead serious about professional synth options, and the others if you're taking a more casual approach.

3. Well yes theres a reason why I got another fuzz, the XBD is pretty terrible, I only use it for one song in my bands. But hey it was my first pedal several years ago.

The difference in price is less than $100AUD. A preodered Chunk is $549AUD. Now if I was to buy the EHX pedals here I think the cost advertised at the Bass People is roughly $540AUD for a Qtron+ and $900+AUD for the BMS (which is why I wouldn't buy them in Australia). From the US it would be like $250US for the BMS and $150US for a Qtron plus shipping and 10% GST when they get here (Not 100% sure on that).

The real deciding factor for me is whether the OS can pull of a good envelope filter sound.

4. Hey mate, you wouldn't get taxed if the items are under $1000. Man effects prices are crazy out here, seems even worse then everything else. I'm very happy the Chunk is cheaper than the States for it's first run, and then about the same (using current conversion rates) once it's gone to it's regular price.

BTW, what's the soda meisser?

5. soda meiser is a very nice devi ever pedal ;)
    look it up on youtube
    spanky did a nice run through of it ;)

6. Thanks, I wasn't really sure on the taxes, and yes Effects are really ridiculously priced here. The Soda Meiser is a fuzz pedal with No-fi Chaos, at low texture (or intensity) it sounds like a muff, at high texture its not too useable on bass. Chaos is like a weird synthy, oscillating monster... completely rapes your tone if you play electric guitar through it but it must be a low pass circuit because you can get a pretty nice Saw tooth, glitchy, gated sound from it on bass. Chaos also lets you make fuzz factory style oscillating noise with the right settings.

Still doesn't solve Chunk vs EHX problem? Right now I'm leaning to chunk...

7. Well I'll have mine once the Bass People get the stock in, so if you wanna give it a bash before you go for it, hit me up. Only thing is if you wait too long you'll have to pay $80 extra (when it goes to $629).

8. I might just preorder the chunk. I mean if I hate it I should be able to sell it without loosing much or any money. Plus free t-shirt... is there anything better than that.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Do you have it, Bongo? I'm a synth head and I'm seriously considering it. Sorry about the hijack folks.

10. And it's signed too, so when they sell out of all the 1st run, and people are all like.. :crying:, you can sell yours at a profit.

11. Touche, I think the decision has been made. Incidentally when are they supposed to be shipping the first batch?

12. I PM'ed Evan from the Bass People and this was his response (cheers Evan!)

"Hi Rick,

Unfortunately nothing yet. Richard is going to come round with the first production line one built to our store and give us a first hand look.
    Fingers crossed that we will get a date that is soon."

I've paid my deposit. I'm keen on the pedal, but don't mind the wait so I can build more funds and not have to rely on the plastic so much :D

13. I have the funds... well should have, I need to bank a cheque. The wait doesn't bother me too much as I don't have much time at the moment to play bass. :crying:

14. Cheque hey, tax return? I'm still waiting on mine, should be good though :hyper::hyper:

15. Nup, scholarship... which is also the reason I don't get to play bass enough.

16. Groovy!

17. Ordered!