Finally finished Pimping my P-Bass gold :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Asomodai, May 19, 2007.

1. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Hey guys.

As in previous threads, I told the story of getting my beloved P bass back from a freind of mine and wanting to kit it out for 70's 80's Funk.

IMG_0242.gif
    Before picture.,

So i went about purchasing.

A set of EMG's. £30
    A gold Anodized scratchplate £15
    Gold Pickup and bridge covers (The pickup one had to be gold plated as no one has ever manufactured them) £40
    Gold plated thumbrest ;) £12
    Optima 24KT strings £32

The Emgs were awkward to get in and i had to rout out the wood to get the battery to fit. Plus i had to replace all the pots that came with it due to the originals being absoloutly terrible.

Too bad my camera doesant pick up gold too well but here she is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Emgs really give the P some treble bite which i love, Though due to the maple FB it gives a clanky bass, even more clank! Usually i would love it because of that but i wanted a Funk bass :(, I will get it sorted eventually! I do love the sound seriously :) Just need to fiddle with the action.

I'll try and post better pics at somepoint.

What do you think ? :D

PS i know the Jack socket is chrome, trying to find a Gold one, But hell this bass is finished practically:p

2. piiiiimpin' brotha!

that looks awesome.

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Cool as hell, man.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Very funk-ay lookin'. I like it. :smug:

Actually Fender has gold covers, you just gotta find them.

Tha Pimp.
    DSC00344.gif

5. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Balls, I asked many a time on the boards if anyone including Fender made gold ones at any point and everyone said no!

Balls again!

nice bass btw ;)

6. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
  7. oooh very spiffy.

i expected it to look really in-your-face gaudy, but you managed to make it look pretty classy.

nice bass.

8. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Damn OTT and Gaudy was what i was looking for :(

Problem with the camera is, Its made the gold look understated rather then the pimp look it really has. The Anodised scratchplate in real life looks nothing like gold hardware unlike in the photo.

9. classy isnt good?

10. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    I was aiming for Bootsy collins classy, as in no class at all.

11. Alright, i'm sure this is a stupid question but I need to know. I saw another bass recently with (like yours) the thumb rest on the wrong side. I know i've seen it before and i've never figured out what the deal is, I must be missing something....

Nice looking bass, btw!

12. Its not the 'wrong' side, in fact, if anything, thats the correct side, and thats how its was originally placed. The thing about electric bassists at the time of that location's conception was that they played with their thumbs, which gave them a bassier response, more like an upright. So bassists would grip their fingers on the bottom of that rest, and pick with their thumb. Later, bassists started playing with their first and middle fingers, so Fender switched the location up acordingly.

13. throw something purple on it. like a pickgaurd or something.

14. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

That looks really nice! Enjoy. A Pearloid guard might work on that bass too.

George

15. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Sexy!:)

16. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    You gotta rip out the frets and put those gold-ish whatever frets that Warwick uses!

17. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Brass frets? :)

18. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Indeed! That'd probably cost a bit, but it'd look sick

19. jsamans

jsamans

Mar 11, 2007
    Fall City, WA
    Nice one. Like a Mary Kay strat... gorgeous.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021